How is the agility of a SM rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks more stable, however, does the inherent stablity fight you if you need to hold an off-camber/off-axis position?

When you roll, one tank goes up, the other down. Center of gravity is unaffected.
If the tanks are a bit loose, just grab them and spin for fun :wink:

And, oh, you can actually bend you back a little, were you going to make some underwater somersaults. At least with the harness I use.

I used a sidemount rig at a Project AWARE dive in a local river. Visibility was zero inch and the river was full of stones, bicycles, traffic signs, pipes and other stuff. I used the pull and pull -method while slowly combing the bottom, in current. Pulling loose the bicycle wrecks required some cosiderable force at times, and surfacing with one was a little awkward. I even climbed aluminum stairs, in SM rig, with fins, forcibly dragging those bicycles. The sidemount config worked well and I loved the fact that I could kneel on the bottom, bend forward, then pull and bend backward.

Haven't done this with backmount, so I cannot compare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom