How is Palancar Horseshoe doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is the contaminated area getting better? Worse? Staying the same?

contaminated area?? Please explain.

I was wondering the same thing.

contaminated area?? Please explain.

I'm surprised this is the first you've heard of it. You are one of the people I was hoping could tell me what it is, and why it's there? Maybe contamination is the wrong word.

If you get in at the horseshoe and drift for about a hour there's a section of reef covered with a thick mucus like stuff. I don't know how else to describe it. It's reddish in color, and pretty slimy looking. The vis got bad too. It was like a big cloud of yuckiness that you just want to swim out of.

I was hoping someone knew more about it, and what it was doing.

first I heard of it

I googled around a bit, and I think it is algae. I think it's Red Slime Algae, which according to About.com isn't a "true" algae at all, but a bacteria.

That's what happens when divers ignore the marine park rules and use regular sunscreen!

I googled around a bit, and I think it is algae. I think it's Red Slime Algae, which according to About.com isn't a "true" algae at all, but a bacteria.

Interesting. This is the first I'm hearing about it. How long ago was this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom