How is North Shore now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV:
triton.jpg

Wow! What a clean shell! Did you put it on a crown of thorns?

Great shots JJ,
Here is the picture taken in passing on Friday! nice pose!

vbluev223.JPG

The school of Ne'nue in the main cavern was cool!

The swell was unusually strong for its size but we had some great dives!! Just stayed away from the inside swim-thrus.

and here is a shot of the Monk Seal we saw on Thurs. sleeping to the right of our exit point (in the cove!). Water on lense made it a bit distorted but you can get the idea.

monksealcove222.JPG

Drew

I know that of some people that have dove Sharks Cove and 3 Tables during this time of year when it is down... but when someone says it can go from 1-10ft in the matter of 1 dive it's true. So I suggest if it is down that you know these sites pretty well because if the surge gets stong and you are in some of those cavers and swim throughs it might not make such a good dive from when you started.

SAFTEY FIRST!

Shhhh!!! Here come the no-fun police!

yes safety is prime..

yes wave sets can jump 5 to 10 feet from set to set..
('found out the hard way while learning to surf)
that said.. there's oft times the option of timing the intervals..
to exit between sets (there might be 1 to 5 minutes)
and as always.. check-six for the next approaching wave.

as for the surges within the caverns..
before entering.. i observe the fish movement..
if they're darting through.. i don't enter.

VblueV is a cool customer.

If the surf picked up, I have trouble imagining him even breathing faster.

(not me...I know the surf picks up up there, I've seen it)

Diving Point Panic and Lanai Lookout as much as he does, he probably has developed pretty good rock crawling skills.

You just need to be smart to dive the cove in these conditions. We dove again today and everything went fine. You wont see me try to enter the elevator on days like today, nor the death cave for that matter.
As far as the surf going from flat to 10'.....not likely unless you are diving when the surf is on the rise. That is an important factor. If the forcast calls for a rapid increase then dont dive in the 12 hr window of the buoy readings. Ultimately, you sit for at least 30 minutes to see all the sets that come in, then decide if you got the "nads" for it!!
Today we could feel the surge as deep as 40 ft and you could feel the larger sets about every 15 minutes. So when we came in we waited until a large set passed while sitting in the sand at 20ft. That gaves us a nice time window to exit.....you just cant stop and look at the turtles while swimming in.....and that is where most people fail!!!
Diving the cove with todays conditions is tons easier than china wall from shore on most days.

darn.. when i left this morning.. they hadn't updated the surf forecast yet..
if i would've seen the 1-3foot forecast for the north.. i'd a gone there :eyebrow:
but still had a couple great dives at lanai lookout..
sounded like a full wood-wind section.. with all the whales singing..
some sounded like trumpets, others oboes, and there was even a tuba!

scubadrewvideo:
.. Diving the cove with todays conditions is tons easier than china wall from shore on most days.
yeah.. portlock/china walls can be rough from both shore or boat..
i don't even bother with the rope exit anymore.. i go directly to the alternate exit around finger rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom