How is North Shore now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Trades and waves seem to be down a bit, was wondering if anyone dove sharks cove or anywhere else up there recently. I was thinking about driving up this weekend, how were the conditions?

they have a live cam....

it was 28 ft last week!

But...basicaly? I don't know.

The wind has laid down to about 10-15 here on the south side, and I saw a bit of a swell on the south last night.

I like this site

http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/

I didn't think North Shore (Sharks Cove) was diveable/divable until late April or May.

itch808:
Trades and waves seem to be down a bit, was wondering if anyone dove sharks cove or anywhere else up there recently. I was thinking about driving up this weekend, how were the conditions?
Itch,
While it may be tempting to dive the NorthShore when down in the winter, I would not advise you to do so. I've heard too many locals say it can go from flat to 10 ft in a matter of minutes......but, I have dove the trench in late Nov. and early April.
Better to be safe than not. being pounded onto the rocks 8ft surf hurts....I KNOW, I'VE DONE IT!
SURF ZONE FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
300 PM HST FRI FEB 23 2007

HIZ005>011-240500-
OAHU-
300 PM HST FRI FEB 23 2007

SURF ALONG EAST FACING SHORES WILL BE 5 TO 7 FEET THROUGH SATURDAY.

SURF ALONG NORTH FACING SHORES WILL BE 2 TO 4 FEET TODAY...
INCREASING TO 4 TO 6 FEET ON SATURDAY.

SURF ALONG WEST FACING SHORES WILL BE 2 TO 4 FEET THROUGH SATURDAY.

SURF ALONG SOUTH FACING SHORES WILL BE 2 TO 4 FEET THROUGH SATURDAY.

OUTLOOK THROUGH THURSDAY MAR 1:
NO SIGNIFICANT SWELLS ARE EXPECTED.

But wasn't that at the Lookout?

Thanks catherine for that website, I had no idea about the beach cams! I usually just dial up 596-SURF. I'd double checked and Jimbo's right, NW swell comming in already. Ahh, looks like today would've been the day to do it. Oh well...will prob dive somewhere south side tomorrow instead.

mrjimboalaska:
While it may be tempting to dive the North Shore when down in the winter, I would not advise you to do so.. many locals say it can go from flat to 10 ft in a matter of minutes..
yeah.. what he said :eyebrow:

i shot these this afternoon..
and yes, the new north swell was coming in at the end of the second dive..
wow! water flowing in from the north is way cold too.. brr.. my ears felt frost-bit..
scove.jpg

scoveschool.jpg

scovecave.jpg

scovearches.jpg

this was laying under a big overhang out by the pinnacles.. heading 270° from the cove..
triton.jpg

scovebigcave.jpg

jeez! get out of the way!
fishtails.jpg

bandshrimp.jpg

bluetrev.jpg

scoveeel.jpg

this is in the far east cavern waaay to the right..
farcave.jpg

What a maniac!! Looks like you had a good dive, and some good luck... Great pics none the less.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom