How is Costa Rica different than Belize or other Caribbean dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've dived just about everywhere I could think of in the Caribbean, but I have never been to Costa Rica. How is the diving in Costa Rica different from places like Belize or Bonaire?

Can you recommend a great dive resort in Costa Rica? How do I find which is best?

Thanks,
Tov

The west coast of Costa Rica is in the Pacific. So you are diving a totally different body of water. The temps are colder, the visibility is much lower. 2 days of diving was enough for me.

I dove Cano Island in December...water was 82 no thermoclines. Stayed at the Agula De Osa....loved it....Lot of stuff in the water....But the Vis was 15' to 20'.....Great place, loved the Jungle...Just could not see anything in the water!

Tovster:
I've dived just about everywhere I could think of in the Caribbean, but I have never been to Costa Rica. How is the diving in Costa Rica different from places like Belize or Bonaire?

Can you recommend a great dive resort in Costa Rica? How do I find which is best?

Thanks,
Tov
First of all, I have not dove the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, and I hear it isn't worth it, so I can only comment on the Pacific side. We dove for a week out of Playa Del Coco, and we had a blast. I'd tell you to look at my gallery, but I don't know if it is up and working again yet. If it is, all those pics are from CR. There is very little coral, in fact you may dive the whole week and not see any. There is volcanic rock everywhere, and tons of sea life. There are a lot of trip reports on CR, you should just do a search. I would have to disagree with the other comments so far, I had a blast, and could have dove the rest of my life right there. There was so much life there, you just had to have a really good dive master, or have an eye for that sort of thing.

We dove with a dive shop. If you are wanting a "dive resort", there is Ocotal, and Four Seasons. I'm not much for AI's, as I want to experience where I am going. Anyway, the only way to find out which one is best, is to go to all of them :D

My wife and I had a great vacation. We did some good tours and I enjoyed my 2 days of diving, but was disappointed with the 20ft. visability. We stayed at Playa Conchal resort and I dove Catalina island out of Flamingo. The dive master said 20 ft. vis was normal.

Yes the caribe diving in CR is very not so great, low vis and not alot of good coral or fish. Ive heard the runoff of pesticides from the banana plantations is the cause. May be better just south in Bocas del Toro, Panama or to the north in the Corn islands in Nicaragua.

For CR diving I would head to Coco,or Drake Bay. It is good there, but it is the pacific and a whole different deal from caribe diving

Do a search for sure. I dived CR in the summer of 1998. Fantastic diving....and yes the vis isn't the greatest but that is because it's full of nutrients....nutrients = LIFE! The life there was phenominal!! I spent a week there, diving daily and would go back again in a heartbeat once I've completed my list of other places I want to go.

We stayed and dived with El Ocotal near Playa del Coco.

Costa Rica is gorgeous but i didnt love the diving much, two days were also enough for me, interesting to dive in low vis like that and we did see a specacular amount of jellyfish - really awsome to swim through them and pretty spooky too - dove with Diving Safaris out of Playa Hermosa and they were fabulous - everyone at the shop was friendly and very professional - I think it's a great location but wouldn't really suggest Costa Rica as a dedicated dive holiday - take a day to go rafting or zip lining too!

From the messages I've seen here, my experience and the experience of a couple friends the diving on the pacific coast of CR varies with the seasons (if not weeks). I was there in November last year and absolutely loved the diving. Friends of my were there in August or Sept and the viz was poor so they didn't care for it. (they didn't do the Catalina or Bat islands, which I did and that could make a big difference.)

The previous owner of Rich Coast diving indicated she felt Oct, Nov were the best times to dive there, the water was warm and the viz was usually pretty good.

On my trip the viz changed from site to site and day to day. 20' on the low end, 80' on the good ones. I'd say the average was closer to 60'. As someone else mentioned, you won't find much if any coral there. On the local dives we saw, reef sharks, eagle rays (at least 2 on each dive), many free swimming eels, seahorses, clown shrimp. On the trips to the bats and catalina we saw bull sharks, HUGE mantas, schools of devil rays, balls of bait fish larger than a school bus.

You can see some of my pics here if you are interested.
http://www.toptown.com/divephotos/costarica/

The water is definitely colder than the caribbean, with 5-10 degree thermoclines on most dives. I wore a 3mm and got cold on a few dives (i was in utila last week and didn't wear a wetsuit for comparison).

We didn't stay at a "dive resort", we did get a package deal from Rich Coast and stayed at La Puerta Del Sol. The hotel is a very short walk from the dive shop, town and the beach, and they handled the gear each day so all we had to do is walk to the beach. There are a ton of great places to eat in town (and most are reasonably priced), the people are more friendly than many of the caribbean islands I've been too.

Overall, I loved it, and even though i usually prefer to always go somewhere new, we have already decided to go back again this year. Hope some of this was helpful

szohn makes some good points-PDC is a great place to visit, and at certain times the diving is very good, there is alot to do above the water, the nature is great, the people are very friendly and good restraunts and nitelife. I too like to go different places but return to CR over and over, its my favorite place to travel to so far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom