How is a 3-cylindered aqualung arranged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
How is a 3-cylindered aqualung arranged? If each cylinder is connected to the manifold by an A-clamp on a pillar-valve top, those, plus the regulator's A-clamp makes 4, and when I tried to make a CGI model of a 3-cylindered aqualung where each cylinder had its own pillar valve fitting into an A-clamp on the manifold, I found that the middle cylinder's pillar valve top and A-clamp gets in the way of the regulator's A-clamp and the projection on the manifold that it screws onto. Google search for images of 3-cylinder setups found only http://www.divingmachines.com/vintagescuba.html, which shows setups where the cylinders did not each have their own pillar values but were screw-connected straight to a manifold.

I have never seen what you are describing. All the triples I have seen used a triple manifold. I assume by A clamp you are referring to a yoke, but I am not familar with the term pillar valve.

Anthony Appleyard:
How is a 3-cylindered aqualung arranged?

Aqualung is a brand name.

Anthony Appleyard:
If each cylinder is connected to the manifold by an A-clamp

We don't use A-clamps in diving.

Anthony Appleyard:
on a pillar-valve top,

We don't use pillar-valves in diving.

Anthony Appleyard:
those, plus the regulator's A-clamp makes 4,

Four what?

Anthony Appleyard:
and when I tried to make a CGI model

What is a CGI model?

Anthony Appleyard:
Google search for images of 3-cylinder setups found only Diving Machines,submarines, submersibles, minisubs, personal subs, subs, tourist subs, which shows setups

That's how they are set up.

Have you ever dived?

I do find the original post a bit confusing, but I will assume that the original poster is possibly from Europe from some of the terms he/ she is using.

I have seen the A-clamp name commonly used for the yoke connection in many European countries and perhaps other parts of the world.

I have also seen the pillar valve term used for the old little pipe thread K valve with the wing nut on the top. This is probably not as common, but those valves are also disappearing in the Scuba world.

And Aqualung is now a brand name, but there was a time when it was also used as a term for Scuba and in some parts of the world it may still be used (I don’t know). Aqualung was the proprietary name from US Divers. Rene Buzzos Copyrighted the name Aqualung as the English word to be used for the system.

The name Scuba was a proprietary name from Healthways (it was first used by the US Navy), but Healthways copyrighted it. My understanding is that since Healthways went out of business, Scuba became public domain.

The OP avatar shows what could be a Russian Scuba system, is that what it is?

CGI is a computer term. Its used to do things like make spiderman swing on a web in the movies. It uses real world measurements to create objects and animate them. Its used mainly for special effects. Sounds like the person is trying to generate a computer model for a triple tank config. He might just be doing research on the suject to create the model. It seems to me he is following some kind of specs he found and the generator is having a collision in which the parts collide in the animated world when they shouldn't since they are based on real world specs.

Just trying to help clarify.

CGI is a computer term. Its used to do things like make spiderman swing on a web in the movies. It uses real world measurements to create objects and animate them. Its used mainly for special effects. Sounds like the person is trying to generate a computer model for a triple tank config. He might just be doing research on the suject to create the model. It seems to me he is following some kind of specs he found and the generator is having a collision in which the parts collide in the animated world when they shouldn't since they are based on real world specs.

Just trying to help clarify.

Oh, a computer guy…
Well, that makes a lot more sense…Maybe he does live in the US, but he does speak a foreign language…it just sounds like English, but it really isn’t… :rolleyes:
:rofl3:

The avatar also fits this explanation.

Thanks

Thanks, that is what I suspected.

Those are some neat computer images. Is this your work?
I saw one of those Russian DPV (diver propulsion vehicles) for sale on eBay once.
I have seen that re-breather for sale on eBay also.

Aps_protei_ida71_00.jpg

IDA71_3_on_beach_.jpg

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sea-hunt-era/225204-vintage-tech-diving-setup.html

These pictures are from that thread, there are more:

44021d1205805561-vintage-tech-diving-setup-cttriples1.jpg

44023d1205805604-vintage-tech-diving-setup-triple-manifold.jpg

Back
Top Bottom