How important is blind stitch/glued v. flatlock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric802

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking around at wetsuits and know the difference between the two construction methods. I get that flatlock creates little holes along all the seams; what I'm wondering is how much of a difference that makes in the real world. If you had two identical suits, one blind-stitched and glued and the other flatlocked, is one going to be notably warmer than the other? I get that "warmer" is subjective and what's fine for one person might be miserable for another. I seem to see the flatlock mostly in thinner, 3/4mm suits. Thanks for any input/guidance.

The flatlock stitch leaks a lot. It is definitely not warmer. I think it is most commonly used in 1.5-3 mm suits, which are not that warm anyway, so some additional leakage is not a big deal. I think it may be a stronger method of stitching, but I'm really not sure.

Well, for what it's worth, other family members in their flatlock 3mm suits seem to get colder faster than I do in my blind stitched\glued 3mm suit (water in low 70sF). It varies so much by individual, though, it's hard to tell. As you say, most 3mm suits don't have the blind stitched\glued seams. That makes them less expensive and they will usually be used in warmer water anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom