How fast are the currents in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh:
You could be right but the boat we dive off is a 35ft inland cruiser max cruise about 8knots. I know at Agate the owner said he was at RPMs for 8 knots and only doing 4. But I did not mean this to a become a debate, I was just trying to give a point to compare against for Coz. My wife is a good diver but I have to remember what I am comfortable with is not always right for her.

Really, I don't mean this as a challenge but as a point of information...

How would he know? If he was at RPM's for 8 knots and was moving forward at 4 because the current was opposing him at 4, then he would have been going at 8 knots relative to the water, and a speedometer that registers velocity relative to the water would have indicated just that - 8 knots, wouldn't it? Is GPS sensitive enough to accurately register the diff between 4 and 8 knots? Was he counting and timing his passage of markers along the shore? What was his stationary frame of reference?

Let me apologize for using any number in my original post. I am not a boat captain, dive-master, tec, tri-mix, cave/wreck/altitude diving expert; I am just your average diving putz. I was not trying to aggrandize my ability or the danger of diving in the Pacific Northwest. I was just trying to get a quantifiable figure for the currents in Coz, at specific sites, so my wife and I could make reasonable requests of our dive op.

My thanks to those who provided input to the conditions Coz.

I was just in Coz last week, and my boat captain, Chono, who has a decade of experience, says the currents pick up in May, and after rain. They were quite slow last week, 1 knot max. Note, shallow water = faster current.

I dove St. Clair River, that is fast. Cozumel is really slow by comparison. Your friend will have NO problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom