How far ahead of time should one book a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Outside of my OW cert dives, I've only done boat diving in Palau (which was basically pre-booked with the same shop over the course of the stay, leaving your gear there, etc). No real worries aside from waking up on time to get to the boat. However, I'm not sure how/if things are different elsewhere.

In a few weeks, I'll be in Kauai and Oahu for a bit, with some non-diving friends, so I'm wondering how far ahead of time do I need to schedule a few dives (looks like a shore dive or two off Kauai, and maybe a few boat dives off Oahu). I'll be needing rental gear too, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

In the end it all depends who you want to go with, then how popular and how busy they are. You could be lucky, wait till the day before and they still have availability. You could call today to find out they are booked for the days you are looking at. i.e. going with a small op that takes small groups...you do the math :wink:

I'd start planning now and take it from there

The cattle boats fill up last, so if you want to go on a smaller boat, book soon.

I like to book as soon as I know what days I can dive. Then it's all taken care of and no last minute scrambling.

In a few weeks time, summer season should be winding down so instead of a couple of weeks in advance, you can probably get in some good dives by booking 3-5 days in advance. If you are interested in some shore diving while in Kauai, stop by our shop (Aquatic Adventures) in Poipu or pm me and I can get you some more information. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom