How dry is a semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Mares Isotherm and it is drier than any drysuit I have used. However, I still go dry because it is more comfortable and I can change how much insulation I use.

I would suggest going full on dry suit but stay away from neoprene suits.
nothing but bad expiriences with them.
What problems have you had? I'm curious because my first drysuit is an O'Neill 7mm, and so far with maybe 20 dives, I've got no complaints other than all the lead. It's definitely warm and usually dry.

i use a Mares Isotherm, great suit! but it is a wetsuit, nothing dry about it. I can say though that is has keep me warm in temps into the 50's. Anything colder than that and the drysuit comes out.

What problems have you had? I'm curious because my first drysuit is an O'Neill 7mm, and so far with maybe 20 dives, I've got no complaints other than all the lead. It's definitely warm and usually dry.

I use a DUI CF200X (crushed neoprene) and have had no problems...

For the original thread: If you dive enough to make a drysuit investment, it is definitely worth it! Look around at what others in your area are diving. For beach dives the CF that I have is tough enough to get a little scraped and not leak, which may be worth instead of a Trilam suit. Do your homework before you buy.

semi drys can be pretty dry. I have guys that have what looks like minor sweat stains when they get done diving, and its just a little water. BUT typically a semidry is alot thicker suit to keep you warmer, meaning more weight to get down. Alot of drysuits are available in a range close to semidrys. We have one for $599 brand new. So pricing on some has come down tremendously with holiday specials. With a drysuit and proper training, you can wear very little weight depending on the undergarment you wear.

A semi dry does have a DRY Zipper, depending on the model...but usually that zipper is attached in a dry manner as it would then be a drysuit...others have zippers that are not dry, and are attached the same, this is usually the only place water enters a semi dry...thru the zipper

Someone said the seals ARE NOT dry, well that is FALSE. Again, depending on the model the seals are 100% dry! Alot of semi drys use the same neoprene sealing system that some drysuits use, the only thing that is typically NOT dry is the zipper. Alot of drysuits have neoprene neck seals, so do semi drys. Alot of drysuits have neoprene wrist seals that would be folded in, well most semi drys have the same exact system. So typically, if its a proper fit, the only water flow is in the zipper....Which if it was fully dry, as someone else pointed out, you would get the squeeze

Also, they are not nearly as wet as a wetsuit as someone else mentioned. If it were, it would be a wetsuit, the 2 suits work completely different from each other. wetsuits use water retention to keep you warm, semidrys use water barriers and thicker materials to keep you warm

Why are you just wanting a semi dry? If your not set solely on the semidry, I would seriously consider a drysuit :wink: but I would love to hear your thoughts of why your looking at semi dry

Someone said the seals ARE NOT dry, well that is FALSE. Again, depending on the model the seals are 100% dry!

No they aren't they're looser neoprene seals. The neck is also not a complete seal.

Also, they are not nearly as wet as a wetsuit as someone else mentioned. If it were, it would be a wetsuit[/quote]

Yes they are, they let water in, all they do is reduce that flushing. If the suit is a good fit (ie tight) it will allow a thin layer of water in - exactly the same as a equally tight fitting wetsuit. The only difference is the time it takes to flood and reduction in flushing.

If semi-drys kept dry patches divers would be emerging covered in bruises from the suit squeeze amongst other things.

No they aren't they're looser neoprene seals. The neck is also not a complete seal.

Also, they are not nearly as wet as a wetsuit as someone else mentioned. If it were, it would be a wetsuit

Yes they are, they let water in, all they do is reduce that flushing. If the suit is a good fit (ie tight) it will allow a thin layer of water in - exactly the same as a equally tight fitting wetsuit. The only difference is the time it takes to flood and reduction in flushing.

If semi-drys kept dry patches divers would be emerging covered in bruises from the suit squeeze amongst other things.[/quote]

They would only emerge with bruises if it were FULLY dry. These are Semi-dry suits we are talking about.

So your telling me that Seasoft, among many others, that use Neoprene seal on their drysuits, are "Looser Neoprene Seals".....and that a manufacturer of Drysuits, still uses this technique, even though you say it doesnt work??

A wetsuit is fully engulfed with water on the inside. A semi dry only allows a little bit of water. If you go dive a wetsuit with a t-shirt and bathing suit, you would be completely wet. If you were the same under a semi-dry, you would be only about 20% or less wet....Im sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom