How Dry I Am...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

When you wear ankle weights your feet are down and your head is up and you swim with a large *angle of attack*.....

Okay, I rarely wear ankle weights and have only limited experience with them, so what do I know? However, while diving in warm water with a 3mm wetsuit and wearing double steel HP104's with an AL80 deco bottle, I found myself struggling to keep my head "up". Neutrally bouyant at 20fsw with no finning or sculling resulted in a head down inclination of about 75 degrees (nearly, but not quite, inverted) which was a nuisance. I was killing my SAC with all the work it took to keep level, not to mention the fact that my buddies were in danger of drowning since they were laughing so hard. I took one pound off of my belt and added a pound to each ankle, which was sufficient to result in a basically level position while neutral. Admittedly, a little bit unusual situation, but we were doing a deep dive in warm water and I didn't need (or have) a dry suit with me. Although the problem was encountered (and resolved) in shallow water, the solution did not seem to cause new problems as the neoprene crushed - even at 200fsw.

Exeption that proves the rule, perhaps?

Hey ReefRaff,

couple of questions here -
Were you diving LP104's or HP100's? And in a wetsuit??? To 200 fsw? That would in my book take some serious brass balls - what kind of water temp did you have down there?

I am curious what kind of mix you were diving for that and what your stops were? What did you run in your stage?

Cheers,
Big T

That just scares the hell out of me. 3mm suit with HP or LP steel doubles. So can you swim this rig up if your BC is inoperable?

HP's mt are about -8lbs. And full add about -7lbs each. Plus a full AL 80 at about -3lbs. for a grand total of around -33lbs. Then you said you took 1lb off your belt and added 1 lb to each ankle. At already 33lbs negative with a 3mm suit. What would you need a weight belt for? Even if you were using LP 104's you'd still be around 20lbs negative. without a weight belt.
This sounds like an accident waiting to happen.:whoa:

Originally posted by FloridaDiver
If it's a warm day (it was), get all your gear ready, then put on your suit (I know, that sounds obvious). If you get overheated on the surface, pull open the neck seal, squat, and while keeping the seal open, stand up. Cool air will rush into the suit as you stand.
If you've got plenty of back gas, just hook up the inflator and inflate the suit. The gas cools severly as it drops from the cylinder pressure to ambient, and will cool you down better than the surrounding air.

Roak

Originally posted by reefraff

3mm wetsuit and wearing double steel HP104's with an AL80 deco bottle

I took one pound off of my belt and added a pound to each ankle

even at 200fsw.

Exeption that proves the rule, perhaps?

:hmmm:
This would be an excellent post for you to make on the techdiver email list...:winky:

Especially if your 3mm is Kevlar & Nomex....:flame:

Yep... you are exceptional ReefRaff....
But I am not sure what rule is being proved....

75 degree heads down

I think this is one of the best threads I've seen explaining someone's initial drysuit experiences. There has been plenty of talk about dry vs. wet, and brand x or y, but this was really nice.

The point about the ankle weights in my earlier post didn’t really have anything to do with drysuits, which (as I recall) was the original purpose of this thread. I don’t have a problem with meanderings, but I hope that no one will be upset by my straying off target.

My post about the ankle weights was in reference to Uncle Pug’s post where he said that adding ankle weights requires extra weight on the belt and that he would provide information to support his claim. I basically agree with him, but was disappointed that no one took the bait, so (after a couple of weeks waiting) I asked him to explain. I gave a specific example of an instance from my experience where I thought he was wrong. Sort of an exception that proves the rule, as I said in my post.

The particulars: double PS100’s (sorry, I misspoke myself in my original post – good eye WetDane) on my back with an AL80 for deco. 3mm new full wetsuit. Double wings for at least a margin of safety. Weight for trim – and that was the point of my post. I was vacationing and borrowed some of the gear I was using. We took a practice dive to allow me to familiarize myself with the gear and make whatever adjustments were needed. I had a couple pounds of weight on my waist to allow myself to adjust trim and as a way to get a little positive in a big hurry if I needed to. I ended up more or less heads down, which I don’t think can be caused by carrying too much weight at midpoint. Removing all the weight, although it helped a little bit, didn’t come close to resolving the problem. What did work was moving some of the weight from my belt and adding it to my ankles. Bingo – I found myself naturally leveled out. Over-weighted, yes, but I wasn’t carrying much and I had limited options available. Mostly, I couldn’t think of anything else that would solve the problem.

That said, there have been some obvious questions and comments about the deeper :goofy: dive that I mentioned doing with this configuration – and whether or not I was a stone cold moron (my words) for making the dive. Again, that’s maybe off topic, but of interest nonetheless. The particulars: an air dive to 59m in 25C water with air on my back and EAN50 for deco. Bad idea? Yep. Would I do it again? Nope. Been there, done that, never been so drunk in my life. Scratching hard at a pO2 of 1.6, that’s for sure. I could tell you about all the planning that went into the dive and all the precautions we took, but it was and remains a bad idea. Although I had a great time on the dive, I’m mostly glad that I got to live to tell about it. I got lucky, which is sometimes better than being good.

And, no, I’d really rather not post this experience anywhere else, if for no other reason than pride. I probably should have kept my mouth shut even here. I can see this on RSD or Aquanaut – although it might be interesting to be the first guy to get shredded by both PADI and GUE at the same time!
:jester:

Originally posted by reefraff
And, no, I’d really rather not post this experience anywhere else, if for no other reason than pride. I probably should have kept my mouth shut even here. I can see this on RSD or Aquanaut – although it might be interesting to be the first guy to get shredded by both PADI and GUE at the same time!
:jester:

Don'tcha worry reefraff...we keep this stuff inthe *family*...
:wink:

One of the nice things about this board is that the flames are more like warm breezes....

I've done more than my fair share of dumb things (deep air, deep solo, poor deco practices, etc.). The fact that you recognize it and learned from it means you are way a head of the game. Many divers never figure it out and wind up in either dead or, if they're lucky, in a chamber.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom