How Dry I Am...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
That's one more c-card taken care of!

I finally got the chance to experience what many of you (especially you northern cold water yankees (said with affection :) )) take for granted. I am now a "card-carrying" dry suit diver.

This past Saturday (Dec. 8) was my first time ever in a drysuit, and I have to say that I found the experience both as fun and challenging as the first time I breathed underwater. Much of the basic facts I sorta already knew from reading various articles both on and offline, so I had some idea of what to expect. But as the rest of you have said, getting into the water with a drysuit on is tottally different than just reading about it.

Ron Carlo (Dallas, TX) was the instructor and he did a very good job covering all of the details during the "on-land" class and guiding me through the different required skills while underwater. This was my 3rd class with him (the others were TDI Basic Nitrox, and SDI Rescue Diver). So if any D/FW divers want a referrall to one of the best instructors in the area, contact me and I will be happy to give you his contact info.

I had fun running through the drills and experiencing the sensations of what it feels like to have suit squeeze and the "rolling" air bubble when you change your orientation from head up/head down and side to side. We also did drills where I hung onto the side of the platform and overinflated the suit with my feet up so I would know what it would feel like to have super floaty feet and how to recover from that position without rising too far in the water column. The sensation of that drill was really interesting since there was so much air in my dry suit boots that I thought I was going to blow off a fin!

We also did two "tour" dives where we just swam for 15 minutes and looked at the scenery so I could get used to the new buoyancy characteristics of this type of diving.

Other observations I wanted to share:
  • I knew in advance that the wrist and neck seals were supposed to be tight. But I didn't know that the neck seal would make my eyes feel like they were bugging out. But I was amazed at how quickly that particular discomfort disappeared once I got in the water and the entire suit was giving me a tight hug.
  • A tight "all over body hug" is a fairly accurate description to describe how the water pressure creates a suit squeeze. To provide a visualization, watch the infomercials on the kitchen device that vacuum packs food.
  • I was suprised that suit squeeze starts the moment any part of your body is in the water. I took the steps from the dock into the water and as soon as I was in up to my knees, I could feel the sqeeze on my feet/ankles.
  • Diving in a dry suit does give you a few more items to manage during a dive. Therefore I strongly recommend that a course in drysuit diving be taken so that you learn how to do it safely. Wetsuiters just have to manage adding/dumping air into/out of their BC's. Dry suiters have that plus managing the air in their suits plus ensuring that the air is spread evenly through out the suit to maintain horizontal trim. Always do what I did. take things just a bit slower so that you don't overload yourself, and you have a greater margin of time to react properly to a situation. I felt a bit task-loaded, but not out of control. But I do recognize that I have some practice to do so that this dry suit task management becomes as second nature as when I'm diving in a wetsuit.
  • I acutally found that acheiving neutral buoynacy was much easier in the drysuit (diving with my Ranger BC, the Drysuit, an AL80, and 20lbs of lead). This was the first time that I could remember that I could hang motionless and stay perfectly horizontal, not having to use leg muscles to keep my feet from drooping. And even at the 15 foot mark, I was able to maintain my vertical position in the water column fairly easily. This was one unexpected benefit.
  • It was very interesting just how comfortable dry suit diving is. The water temp was in the low 60's at 35-feet. I was wearing 3 layers of polypropelene on my torso and arms and 2 layers on my legs and wool socks. I did feel the chill of the water when I first entered on the surface, but once submerged and adding air to take off the squeeze, I was very comfortable. You can really come to understand just how much heat a wetsuit removes from you due to water transfer.
  • Practicing the over-inflated legs high drill on the surface reminded me of someone being held by their ankles and having their change shaken out of their pockets.
  • Once back on dry land and out of your gear, the feeling you get when you open the neck seal to let air back in to take the squeeze off is very nice.
  • The best saying from Instructor Ron: "Getting a dry suit will more than double your the value of your investment in your other scuba gear." Meaning, you can now dive in any temperature conditions year round. In Texas, many dive only April through October when the waters are warm. So diving dry, you can be in the water every weekend, and anywhere from the Caribean to Canada.
  • Finally, I can see why you dry suit divers are fond of saying that once you dive dry, you won't dive wet again. It's very nice to end the day and the only body part your towling off is your head.
Dry Suit diving is one specialty that I encourage EVERYone to experience. It's a good challenge to your diving skills, and it's one specialty that in my opinion will definitely provide more opportunities to dive.

for the great information about drysuit diving. :thumb:

I plan on buying a drysuit in the next year or two and have never gotten information so in depth about the feeling of dry diving. Most people rave about it, but I've never heard it explained so explicitly. I'm surprised to hear how many layers of polypro are needed to keep warm. I'm assuming you have a trilam suit.

Keep us updated on your learning progression. I for one see this kind of info as "advance notification" and will help me to master the skill earlier once I join you on the dry side!

Drysuits take a lot of time to get use to. They can get away from fairly experienced drysuit divers if they aren't paying attention. You'll find that diving at deeper depths is much easier than in the shallows -- obviously. The course you took was only an introduction. Make sure you practice often (especially in the shallows) and don't let it get away from you. I didn't have a course, I just got one and learned how to do. Of course, I don't have a cert. for a lot of the stuff I do, but I do more reading and research than any instructor I've met too.

Did he tell you to use the suit or the BC for buoyancy?

Congrats. :)

Mike

Scubadent,

He was diving a Mobby's shell suit. I had pager duty the last two weekends so I've been land locked or I would have been there too. Also not allowed to get that far from the city I work for.

Tom

Originally posted by TexasMike

I am now a "card-carrying" dry suit diver.

Congratulations TexasMike!!!!
Diving dry is the way to go up here.....
We use drygloves and argon inflation too.....
But I'm sure you don't need to go that far with temps in the 60s!!!

Tip: Use the least amount of suit gas you can.....
You shouldn't feel a bubble rolling around in the suit.....
Use your BC for Buoyancy Compensation.....
Suit-hickies are the way your suit says, "I love you TexasMike."

Go and be warm....

Great post Mike - as always - thanks for the very informative descriptions!

I couldn't have said it better myself Mike! Let your coworkers wonder about the ligature marks...

-kate

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Did he tell you to use the suit or the BC for buoyancy?
Yup. I kinda had it figured out toward the end that I would use the BC for the main buoyancy (verticale plane) and workon distributing the what air is in the suit for stability in the horizontal plane.

Originally posted by Scubadent
I'm surprised to hear how many layers of polypro are needed to keep warm. I'm assuming you have a trilam suit.
Like Tom V. stated, it was a Mobby's "twin shell" suit (inner waterproof "bag" and an outer heavy duty ballistic nylon shell. Mobbys has the neat idea that the two shells actually seperate from one another, allowing you to remove the inner "liner" for repair if required.

I'm not sure I have actually seen a tri-lam suit yet, so I couldn't identify one if it was to bite me. I can say that for the simple, pure recreational dives that we did Saturday, the Mobby's performed very well. And I got lucky that CSSP had a stock size that fit me very well.

As far as insulation, as you will discover, the actual drysuit itself does not have any insulation against heat loss. What is keeping you warm is the air trapped between the layers of undergarments that is heated by your body. Think of it as wearing a t-shirt, long underwear and a sweater under your down parka. All those layers are trapping and retaining the air warmed by your body.

In tropical waters, you can wear just "shorts and a swimsuit" under the drysuit, since the water is warmer. But in colder waters, you will want more undergarments.

The tradeoff when wearing additional undergarments is that you will need more weight to get you sinking underwater. Normally in the summer in my 3-mil shorty, I need just 8-10 pounds to keep me down. In that drysuit with that amount of undergarments, I needed 20 pounds in the BC pockets (Zeagle Ranger).

I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom