How does Nitrox work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to share this link...

It neither supports nor refutes my position... but it is one of the best written purely informational things I've seen about Nitrox.

It gives a basis for someone considering Nitrox to make a very informed decision...

Nitrox FAQ

Cheers to good information...

Wanted to share this link...

It neither supports nor refutes my position... but it is one of the best written purely informational things I've seen about Nitrox.

It gives a basis for someone considering Nitrox to make a very informed decision...

Nitrox FAQ

Cheers to good information...

Excellent Link - Thanks

That is just it, I can't. He will give you, what I believe, is a very honest breakdown on his views toward NITROX. There are pros and there are cons, as has been pointed out. He feels there are more cons than pros. So barring Poseidon coming out of the seas and whacking him on the head with his trident, that is what he believes and feels.

Just like you don't feel he has a convincing argument, he feels the same.

If anyone here can convince him other wise, I'll by them a few beers! :popcorn:

I don't really feel a need to convince others of my opinions about nitrox, I think it is a personal thing whether one chooses to use nitrox or not. I have asked a few times but he has not stated why the risks outweigh the benefits in recreational diving. This is what I am interested in as I do not know anything about nitrox related accidents in recreational diving. Since offthewall has posted that he believes the risks outweigh the benefits, I would hope he has something to actually back this up as I am interested in hearing more. It is not about one trying to convince the other at all, at least in my case :confused: I did think his "Thanks" comparison was silly but that is completely offtopic...

If you cannot post in support of your own views, why did you post here in this thread?

This is an intresting discussion on the nitrox issue. My husband and I are new divers (certified last year and now have 40 - 50 dives). On our dives of 60 feet or so, my husband uses up air significantly faster than I do, or most of the other divers in our group (15 minutes of so per dive). Would nitrox help with that specific issue? I'm getting the impression the answer is no. Thanks.

This is an intresting discussion on the nitrox issue. My husband and I are new divers (certified last year and now have 40 - 50 dives). On our dives of 60 feet or so, my husband uses up air significantly faster than I do, or most of the other divers in our group (15 minutes of so per dive). Would nitrox help with that specific issue? I'm getting the impression the answer is no. Thanks.
Nope. He needs to dive bigger tanks. Ask for them where you rent & charter.

I remember that thread about accidents involving fillings with bad air. It seems to me wise to dive on Nitrox while on vacation in a bad-regulated country. Am I wrong?

If you cannot post in support of your own views, why did you post here in this thread?

I posted number 2 or 3 to the OP, where I feel I did an OK job of answering the OP's question.

Since then I get the update e-mails and this one was getting a lot, and I recognized the user name. Of course I had to read the posts.

There doesn't seem to be much discussion as there is a diatribe on the merits or faults of NITROX.

Search 'Air Consumption' and you should find a lot of info on this topic. Aside from getting him bigger tanks, it could be he is over weighted, so on so forth.

I remember that thread about accidents involving fillings with bad air. It seems to me wise to dive on Nitrox while on vacation in a bad-regulated country. Am I wrong?
Nah, that won't help. The two deaths to bad air in Roatan a few years ago were on nitrox from a poorly maintained compressor. This is why I carry a CO analyzer and test every tank.

I am putting together a dive trip to Kona in August, and all the places seem to charge about 12 bucks a tank extra...

I will be doing 5 two-tank trips, two people each trip, so the extra cost would be 120 bucks to use Nitrox.

The dives we will be doing are mostly under 60 feet and the limiting factor won't be NDL but rather air consumption... I can go about an hour and no more on an AL80 if I stay at 50 feet or under... mostly, since we are going to be shooting pictures, we are going to be pretty darned shallow the whole time.

At only two dives per day, and most of them nowhere near the best effective range for Nitrox, it would be nuts to pay the extra 12 bucks per tank to get them, yet I have actually had one of the operations I am talking to trying to upsell me on it.

I want to congratulate them for being kind enough to eliminate themselves from the running of the operations I am considering going out with by trying to upsell me a product I don't need.

Would I dive it on those dives if the cost were equal? Absolutely, headroom is a good thing... but frankly I don't NEED it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom