How does diving make you feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have the words to describe what diving means to me. I've never considered myself spiritual, never gone to church, never prayed, but when i dive...I feel something...

"and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

I feel like I am living out my dreams. Since I was a little kid I always dreamed of flying or falling, scuba accomplishes both.

Tranquil. Intensely curious. Every time I submerge into the North Atlantic, I get a tremendous feeling of calmness, familiarity, gratefulness, and excitement.

Scuba diving makes me feel free. It makes me feel at home, although I get nervous on the surface and moments before I giant stride in, I know that once I get down there and start looking at everything I will feel calm. It's the feeling of total weightlessness and serenity that nothing else offers, so much goes on in the other parts of my life that sometimes it's nice to be somewhere where I can't hear anything but the sound of my own breathing. Not only the underwater part, but the community aspect too, I have met so many new people and found friends that I will have for a long time through diving.

Scuba makes me feel the way surfing used to. As soon as I get my head below water I feel at peace. All my worries about my job, family, and life in general just escape me.
It also gives me a desire to better myself. I feel complete comfort down there but I know I can improve myself as a diver. I just want to learn as much as I can. This site has been great!

Richer in life. Poorer in my bank account.

Lightness, joy, belonging,

It's calming, soothing, very zen

I don't have an adequate vocabulary to describe my feelings.

My bank account reflects the opposite.

It makes me feel wonderful in mind, body & soul! I can't get enough of it. I am amazed by the beauty of the reefs and the marine life.

For me.... it is the closest to heaven I can get. I remember being about 90 ft down and looking up seeing a pod of dolphins and a few other divers. The sun was coming through the water like fingers from heaven and the bubbles from the other divers gently drifted up and the dolphins playing in them. No noise, no phones, no talking, it was perfection and it finest. That was back in 2002 and I knew I was hooked on diving. I have always been a water baby, BUT this, this was a whole new world to play in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom