How does Atomic Smoke on the Water fin compare to Twin Jet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve got a bad knee and Twin Jets a good solution. I’m seeing in Scuba Diving, the Atomic Smoke on Water review look appealing. Has anyone used both and care to comment on the experience?

I have tried both and there is no comparison. With the Smoke on the Water, you will notice that they are a long fin, and that they are back on your foot meaning you will feel a little resistance to moving them, but you will also know your going somewhere.

Without a doubt the best feeling and most powerful split fin I have ever used and the best in my opinion and I have used about 10 different models in the past.

On the other hand, the Twin Jets have a very comfortable foot pocket and are shorter, but when people complain about split fins feeling like kicking wet noodles the Twin Jets are what I think of. There are a whole lot of people out there that dive them and appear to love them so they must have merit for somebody, but in my opinion they are my least favorite split fin.

Again, just my opinion based on my perceptions, try and find a shop or shops with a pool and try each out going with whichever feels more natural and powerful to you.

there is no comparison, the Atomics work quite well, the twin jets are just a floppy version of the jet fin and... well don't. See the Scuba Diving Mag article

notice that the Atomic was right in line with the Apollo Bio-fin (which I have always prefered over the Atomic rip off version) and the Twin Jets are in basically in last place. Now normally, I don't endorse Scuba Divings scuba lab, but in this case, they did a reasonably good job trying to get quantitative data on the fins. Now only if they would compare ForceFins into mix and show the world what the converts already know.

Personnaly, if you have bad knees there is one option that you didn't look at which is going to completely fullfill your needs and be easy on your bad knees. ForceFin in either Orginal Polyurethane or the one I would more highly recommend the Pro model. Both models are very easy to kick and they are short (easy to walk in, less likely to touch reef), flexible and snappy(more efficent). Considering they are in the same price range (or actually cheaper) than the Atomic fin I think that you may end up really liking them. just give them an honest try.

Oh- and a note on the Atomic, had a set, the little panels that are in the blade will dissentrigrate or otherwise fall out in a couple of months. Mine (blue and white ones) lasted about a 1.5 years till I lost 2 panels and I didn't dive them, I was loaning them to friends as I prefer my FF's. The remaining panels were not looking that great either.

They're both useless.

Not everyone has to dive jet fins, you know :wink:

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Oh- and a note on the Atomic, had a set, the little panels that are in the blade will dissentrigrate or otherwise fall out in a couple of months. Mine (blue and white ones) lasted about a 1.5 years till I lost 2 panels and I didn't dive them, I was loaning them to friends as I prefer my FF's. The remaining panels were not looking that great either.

That's unforntunate. Thankfully, the panels on my Atomic's (yellow), which are right at 5 years old with over 200 dives on them and are just fine. Solid as a rock.

I have the liquid blue Atomic fin. LOVE them. I have about 300 dives, no problems. Put springs on them and they are even better. I have dove with them all over the world. Very comfortable and wouldn't trade them for a blade fin.

I dove my Biofins for years, but I have more power with my Atomics. I dove with both Tusa Xpert Zoom and Scubapro twin Jet and wasn't overly impressed with either fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom