ScubaPro Go Sport fins in drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife is looking into purchasing ScubaPro Go Sport fins, but is wondering if they would be good enough for drift diving. We both use Scuabpro Twin Jet split fins (please no ”friends don’t let friend use split fins” comments; we get hammered with them) and they work well with drift diving but we want something easier to travel with. Does anyone have any experience with them in drift diving? Thanks in advanc!

One of the women guides at Jupiter Dive Center, Helen, dives with Scubapro Go Sports. After a moderately taxing dive with current pulling us off the reef for much of the dive, I asked her about them. She liked them very much and thought they had plenty of power for her needs. In addition to the current, she had the ball and flag, which was also pulling off the reef. I was reasonably impressed and have thought about getting a pair for travel. I dive and travel with Dive Rite XTs.

I got a pair a few years ago for travel, and I liked them so much I now use them exclusively.

One of the women guides at Jupiter Dive Center, Helen, dives with Scubapro Go Sports. After a moderately taxing dive with current pulling us off the reef for much of the dive, I asked her about them. She liked them very much and thought they had plenty of power for her needs. In addition to the current, she had the ball and flag, which was also pulling off the reef. I was reasonably impressed and have thought about getting a pair for travel. I dive and travel with Dive Rite XTs.
That‘s an impressive report/endorsement. If you do get a pair of Go Sports I’d love to hear your comparison report to your XTs.

I use Go Sports for wetsuit diving, it manages to push me with 2x12l steel tanks and an AL80 w/o problems.
I'd say they're more than enough for drift diving with recreational gear.

My wife is looking into purchasing ScubaPro Go Sport fins, but is wondering if they would be good enough for drift diving. We both use Scuabpro Twin Jet split fins (please no ”friends don’t let friend use split fins” comments; we get hammered with them) and they work well with drift diving but we want something easier to travel with. Does anyone have any experience with them in drift diving? Thanks in advanc!

I haven't tested them with "drift diving" but they are excellent fins for certain. I officially put my Mares Quattros for sale a couple of days ago and the other AL fins were relegated to "teaching in the pool only" fins. The Go Sport fins are simply great in addition to being very light and compact for travel yet most efficient and comfortable fins to dive with in all environments with all types of wetsuits and heavy equipment including camera equipment. I haven't tried them with a drysuit yet however.

If she does get the Go Sport let us know how she likes them.

I was gifted the regular RK3 and haven’t had a chance to try them in water but I heard the Go Sport is lighter and performs comparably I’m thinking about selling the RK3 and getting the Go Sport instead.

I recently switched from SP Jet Sport to Go Sport fins and they were fine for me drift diving in Cozumel (to be fair, the current was milder than I've experienced on some trips, and some sites known for higher current -- I'm looking at you, Tormentos, and you, Santa Rosa -- were closed).

Overall, I like the ease of packing, reduced weight for travel, more compact shape (great in confined spaces, such as a smim-through) and greater buoyancy. The fins are stiff enough that I never felt I needed more power.

My only complaint was that I quickly developed very nasty blisters on the top of each foot from the fins pressing/moving, despite wearing thin socks and 5mm booties....but it may have been due the socks I wore on the first days of my trip, and once the blisters formed there was no way to avoid more irritation there.

Still, I'll be taking the Go Sport fins on my next trip. Someday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom