How do you use a Crotch Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't say it is necessary but I do notice when I forget to buckle my crotch strap.

It's just to keep your rig from surfacing without you when vertical. While horosontal, you shouldn't notice it at all.

Before the wrap around poodle jacket BC and cummerbund, BC's had them as standard equipment. A beer gut will make it unnecessary.

Bob
So there you go... It's a gear solution for a skills problem... The skill is to drink more beer, which may also help with narcosis and of course overall well being. :cheers:

Yes, take it off and throw it in the dive gear collection bag. Unless you're using a DPV/scooter they aren't necessary.
Me too, note this video where I am upside down spinning down in some shots on my vertical axis with backplate wing and no crotch strap Giant Pacific Clams

Me too, note this video where I am upside down spinning down in some shots on my vertical axis with backplate wing and no crotch strap Giant Pacific Clams
Nice. I love clams.

I should add I spearfish a lot and am often inverted, sideways and do my ascents vertical. No issues. :thumb:

I can't say it is necessary but I do notice when I forget to buckle my crotch strap.
Same here. I've forgotten it and things were just off a little. I wasn't as settled as normal.

I bought the APEX tech shorts so I’m going to try those out.

I have the apeks tech shorts and the crotch strap helps keep them in place for sure. Its a pretty good combo really. And darn it you got me spelling apeks wrong again

Reactions: KCB
From my perspective, a crotch strap is not an equipment solution for poor technique. Using a Halycon BP/W, with a continuous strap, my shoulder straps are loose enough to fit my fist into the shoulder strap. The crotch strap is snug (not tight). This setup works great for backroll or a giant stride, in particular in current or a strong swell/chop. In moderate currents, my rig fits firmly on my body and does not move.

Back
Top Bottom