How do you transport your gear? Car/truck/C-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing beats a Prius! Okay, in fuel economy.

I can get two sets of doubles, two stages, two scooters (With one a Gavin long body), drysuits and all the rest of our gear, including paddles and seats for kayaks inside!

46186d1211732517-show-me-your-packed-truck-car-prius-point-lobos.jpg

Towing my boat the mileage falls off some down to around 32mpg with all dive gear for two people in doubles.

71157d1264572486-diving-inflatable-questions-launching-bw.jpg

Mind you my car is heavily modified and while towing I'll take the bet it would out stop an unloaded domestic p/u. It all comes down to the contact patch to the ground.

FWIW I used to own a K2500 Suburban that had a 496ci under the hood. I have had 2000lbs of gear, compressor, banks, etc. in the back of it, locked up safe. I am glad I do not own a gas hog any more at $4.00 a gallon and rising.

WOW
Some of you really dont care to be safe while in a moving vehicle.:D
Overloading the weight rating of you car can affect the handling and braking, making an emergency stop impossible. (hello rollover) Then there is always the flying compressed air tanks to deal with. I seriously doubt a Honda Fit has proper tie down points for scuba tanks.
I do applaud the one person that made a rack for his pickup bed.

Would it be naive to say you're more likely to get in an auto accident than a scuba accident?

I don't think I'll ever own a prius. No offense to the prius owners.

Also, I think the Matrix overall is a bigger car than the Fit and I don't care if the seats lay completely flat or not. I'm married and have a bedroom to do all my dirty business. :wink:
I'm actually a Nissan guy but the Versa is hideous. I like the Murano but again I want something to double as a daily driver and a V6 is a little much for my daily commute.

I think I'm just gonna buy the Tacoma from my in-laws. Its a 4-banger and has a camper. It is RWD but I'll just keep the my older corolla for the 5 days a year when we have winter weather.

OK, go back to arguing over the Honda Fit. I love honda people. You are so passionate.

I made a tank holder out of swim noodles and thick elastic cord. Cut the noodles the length of the tank, poke a hole in it top and bottom a little ways from the end and thread the cord through. Use 3 lengths for a two-tank holder. Put the tanks in with the valves facing toward the front of the car. They won't roll around. Place your gear bag on either side, but I guess in a Corolla you could put the bag on top of the tanks. I sold my tanks when I moved to the caribbean so no longer have a photo I can provide. I drive a Toyota Rav4. Plenty of space to haul gear to and from the boat.

I don't think I'll ever own a prius. No offense to the prius owners.
Curious why you would say that? Is it because it is a hybrid that is only driven by hippies and tree huggers? Have you driven one for over 50 miles?

No worries, I wouldn't own a Nissan :eyebrow: Well maybe a Leaf :idk:

I'd love to see a photo of the inside of the Prius!

The Fit has four tie down points in the trunk, that are most likely strong enough to help contain tanks. I don't know, and I'm not an expert in car crashes, but I don't think the majority of crashes involve a rollover, and I'm more worried abou them moving forward and slamming into me. The tanks are atleast as well secured in the Fit as they were in my pickup truck, and they are much less likely to fly out and hit other people in a rollover, so I think it's all ok.

The seats fold flat so when you lay things on them, they don't roll off. Other seats that recline to a 10-20 degree angle, has potential for things to roll. Some people might not be bothered by it, but I dive a lot, and seats that don't fold flat were a deal breaker for me. It would be like having the front of your pickup 2" higher than the back, and trying to load it with gear. Usable, but frustrating.

The Matrix is a little bit bigger, but I think that also leads to it getting lower gas mileage. I would have enjoyed a Matrix, as they are really nice vehicles, but I wanted the best gas mileage I could possibly get, at the best price I could get: couldn't afford a Prius :(

Lastly, I don't believe I go over the weight rating of the vehicle. Each set of doubles weighs less than a person, especially the aluminum tanks. The car is built to handle 5 people, when it's loaded with the weight equivalent of 5 or less people, I don't see the problem.

You do have the hooks on the floor and ratchet them down to the card, do not you?

Otherwise the chances of surviving in a simple rollover would be really really slim

That was my first thought as well. A very minor car accident could be deadly from that arrangement if they aren't tied down somehow.

I have a 2004 Camry. I can fit a couple tanks in the trunk and just bungee them up and have blocks to keep them from rolling around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom