How do you transport your gear? Car/truck/C-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toyota Tundra DBL cab. all the gear in totes and the tanks in a plywood and 2X4 rack. When going on long trips fold up the back seats and put all gear behind the front seats. Cramped of course but I cal leave it locke up over night

I went with an American-made 4WD quad cab pickup; a Toyota Tundra. In true Southern California style, I was able to haul six people and their dive gear to the airport last week.

I'm lucky. I put my gear in a sturdy laundry basket, carry it down the stairs and put it in my boat. Tanks (and compressor) are in the laundry room right next to the boat.
Drive boat across farm to launch ramp. Head out.

Couldn't pass up the title. I've transported my gear in all 3! My car, my pickup and in a C-130! All over the South Pacific and Central America in the 80's! LOL

Sounds awesome! I've seen them do the touch-n-go at Pope AFB and it'd be awesome for them to drop down and some divers jump out in full gear and roll into the water!

Soon, I'll be seeing how my new LR3/Discovery works as a dive support vehicle. I like the way that 1/2 of the tailgate comes down, while the upper 1/2 goes up, I think it will make a good seat for changing on. The older style of having it swing would be nice of course.

It's been awesome in the snow anyway. Except that I was the one that got called to do all the recovery of everyone that got stuck.

Apart from two company vehicles both station wagons (Camry and Volvo V70) all of my own vehicles have always been 4x4s.

I once packed a SWB Pajero with 16 tanks and two sets of dive gear for me and buddy to go exploring down the southern end of Saudi as well as three housings and assorted camera gear.

Currently driving Land Rovers these days and I have always found the Discovery a hardy vehicle for hauling gear around, although the new LR3/4 has a tailgate that I don't particularly like as I am not very tall to reach in and haul things out.

Soon, I'll be seeing how my new LR3/Discovery works as a dive support vehicle. I like the way that 1/2 of the tailgate comes down, while the upper 1/2 goes up, I think it will make a good seat for changing on. The older style of having it swing would be nice of course.

It's been awesome in the snow anyway. Except that I was the one that got called to do all the recovery of everyone that got stuck.

I have only had my LR4 for a couple of months now, not really had much chance to put it through its paces yet, but it is powerful and should haul a lot of gear given the space inside once all the seats are folded down.

My Disco II is 10 years old now but still going strong with over 260,000 Km, more than 100,000 of that off road. It is a tough vehicle and I have never given it an easy life, even marshaling for Desert Challenge 3 years in a row.

Attachments

• Disco_II_DC07-3.jpg
    Disco_II_DC07-3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 94
Anyone use a newer Toyota FJ? I have a friend with one and he loves loading it up for big camping trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom