How do you transport your gear? Car/truck/C-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We managed to get 6 tanks and gear for 2 in the trunk of a Hyundai Elantra last summer when we found out that the LDS didn't have tanks on site for our AOW class (they did for OW but they changed sites) - apparently instructors don't just instruct, they also play Tetris with tanks. :popcorn:

For now, my prefered method involves "Flight attendants, please take position for landing."

We are upgrading our Jeep Cherokee to a cool Hummer 2. This is reinforced and so very very cool. Of course, here, you can find ridiculous deals, and gas costs 80 cents a gallon.

nissan-xterra-mpg.jpg

I used to own GMC pick ups but now have a Nissan Xterra 4X4. The back seats fold down flat and I also got an industrial door mat for the back. The gear is more secure than in a pick up bed.

F150 4X4 Extended Cab.
I can fit what I need in it and more.
She has 226K miles and still going strong.

I own a 2009 Toyota matrix and have carried 4 heavy steel tanks with full sets of gear for 2 divers as well as a cooler and luggage with plenty of room to spare. I can easiy fit 4 al super 80s or 4 lp95s directly behind the passenger/drivers seats on the floorboard where your backseat passengers feet would go. try placing 4 tanks behind the drivers row in a Honda fit, it won't happen.

I've got a Ford Escape, rear seats fold down flat and I can store all the gear I need for a weekend of diving and camping for 2 people.

Got Ford F150 4x4. Suspension doesn't even ride smooth until there is 500-1000 pounds in the box. Not sure how many tanks I could fit but I'm sure its at least a few dozen. Awesome in the snow, not awesome at the pumps. Cant wait to build a snazzy tank rack for it!

I own a 2009 Toyota matrix and have carried 4 heavy steel tanks with full sets of gear for 2 divers as well as a cooler and luggage with plenty of room to spare. I can easiy fit 4 al super 80s or 4 lp95s directly behind the passenger/drivers seats on the floorboard where your backseat passengers feet would go. try placing 4 tanks behind the drivers row in a Honda fit, it won't happen.

Like I said, I usually put two sets of doubles and two aluminum 80's and an aluminum 40 across the car. The doubles are larger than 80's, and you lose some space due to the bands and the gap between the tanks, but I just so happened to have four 80's in the car today and put them all in the driver side. It's a perfect fit, with the 60/40 split rear bench: you can carry 4 tanks no problem, with all the gear, and 3 people, or drop down both seats for even more gear storage.

The Fit's seats also have bottoms that fold up, allowing you to put things in the floorboard of the back seat if you wish, leaving the seats up. I haven't found much use for this, but you could put some huge tubs in there and stand tanks up in a rack in the trunk, perhaps.

photo%20%284%29.JPG

Like I said, I usually put two sets of doubles and two aluminum 80's and an aluminum 40 across the car. The doubles are larger than 80's, and you lose some space due to the bands and the gap between the tanks, but I just so happened to have four 80's in the car today and put them all in the driver side. It's a perfect fit, with the 60/40 split rear bench: you can carry 4 tanks no problem, with all the gear, and 3 people, or drop down both seats for even more gear storage.

The Fit's seats also have bottoms that fold up, allowing you to put things in the floorboard of the back seat if you wish, leaving the seats up. I haven't found much use for this, but you could put some huge tubs in there and stand tanks up in a rack in the trunk, perhaps.

You do have the hooks on the floor and ratchet them down to the card, do not you?

Otherwise the chances of surviving in a simple rollover would be really really slim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom