How do you stow your liftbag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D'oh! Forgot to post how I do in in my original post.

I keep a 5' orange SMB in an OxyCheq sleeve ziptied to the bottom of the backplate. I've attached a boltsnap to the SMB, and keep it clipped off to the rear D-ring. Used to have a drysuit with pockets, and would keep the spool in a pocket - it's currently on the left hip D-ring until I get a new pocket on my current wetsuit.

Eventually will add a second yellow emergency SMB - still deciding where to put that. Will probably stow the yellow SMB in the sleeve, because it's out of the way, and will put the "regular use" orange SMB somewhere else. Options so far are under the backplate pad, in a waist harness pocket, or in a thigh pocket. Probably won't rig it with a spool ready to go, because there might be times when I use a reel to shoot it instead.

I usually don't carry a lift bag with me - they're big without height and tend to spill. If I'm diving in open water where waves/currents cause concern that I might become unintentionally separated from the boat, I carry a 6 foot smb mounted in a pouch at the base of my back plate. If I'm planning on deco and looking for just a simple marker and reference line, I carry a small smb in my right thigh pocket. On those occasions where a lift bag is the right tool, I bungee it to the side of my back plate. I've never liked the storage packs, mostly because they make it difficult to remove the back plate by concealing the bolts.

6 foot orange OMS smb. I've added a bolt snap to the webbing loop, and also tied one loop of bungee around the webbing loop.

After rolling it tightly, the loop of bungee goes around the smb to keep it rolled. (The loop is around the webbing so I don't have to worry about stowing it when I take it off; it just hangs to one side of the bolt snap.)

Two loops of bungee through the bottom edge of the plate; SMB crammed into these loops from outside to in, and then the bolt snap clipped off to the rear D ring.

Reading this, I think maybe I am the only one using a beaver tail on the bottom of the back plate. Both SMBs there, orange on top and yellow on the bottom each in their own bungies. Reel on reel ring attached to the right side of the back plate, spool in a small belly pouch worn on the waist strap. All of our diving here is wet, regardless of the depth so kinda short on pockets.

I carry one bag rolled up and bungeed to the bottom of my BP. The other (sausage type) rolled up in the left thigh pocket with a spool. I was carrying the reel on a d-ring on the right side but have started carrying it on the butt D-ring and actually like it there better.

I did have one of the OMS things that hang off the bottom of your BP but because I'm short, I found that it hung down a little too much for me. A couple of my taller buddies have them though and like them.

Another vote for the bag being bungeed to the bottom of the backplate. I had considered the dive-rite sleaves for both bags but did not opt for that approach as what I am doing now is simple and it works. In situations where 2 bags may be required, the second one does go in a sleave quick linked to the right side of the backplate.

The reel goes on the right hip D-ring (the phantom light canisiter is on the left side of the backplate) and a finger spool goes in a pocket.

YES, A pair Bungie loops on the bottom of the plate for my "rolled-up 50lb subslave. Right side thigh pocket has a folded 25lb subsalve and spool. I always dive with both in the ocean and on wrecks. Halcyon explorer reel clipped when not in use.

I have also slipped additional bags under a bungie on the stag bottles - very accessible.

(that's my subsalve - avatar)

Regarding the MC Pack and concealing the bolts....

Just leave off the bottom two bolts. Then it doesn't make removing the backplate from the tanks any more difficult than if the backplate were bare.

I only have a 6' SMB right now, and I put that rolled up in my left thigh pocket. I used to stick it in the MC pack, but it is a bit too bulky. When I get an open circuit bag, it'll go in the back.

Paul,
You just have 2 loops of bungee cord running at the punched holes at the bottom of the BP. The rolled SMB is then secured on both ends using the 2 loops. Or you can have something like this.

ac2753.jpg

this is a better alternative in my opinion. My problem with the bungee at the bottom of the plate is I have lost 2 SMB's because they would sometimes snag when doing a backroll from a bangka and you or anyone else doesn't notice.

But my preferred way is a, 6 inch deep by 3 inch wide side pouch, which is also a great way to route the long hose if you use one. You can just have it made using nylon or cordura material at the local bag maker. You can then fit even 2 SMB's in there or pre-clip the spool on the SMB so you just pull-out the entire assembly when you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom