Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found that my experience in technical diving over the last 15 years has enriched my life in a plethora of ways.

Primarily, I've enjoyed the multi-faceted personal challenge that it brings.

There's been a never-ending goal for improvement; to practice, refine and commit techniques into my personal skillset at ever higher levels of performance.

The development and use of realistic drills, repetitive practice, identifying sub-skills and rehearsing them, high volume repetition to provoke the correct instinctual responses and the development of second-nature equipment familiarity through blindfolded and task loaded operating demands.

That, in turn, led to a professional interest in performance coaching - how I could best improve and maximise efficiency and outcome for technical diving students.

This involved breaking down every facet of technical diving tuition, ever increasing my attention-to-detail, experimenting and implementing ever-refined the learning methods, drills and practice concepts that I use with students.

Tech diving provoked a desire to study and understand ever more complex academic issues. It can be very intellectually stimulating and challenging.

I literally devour information nowadays, first for my own personal understanding and then the challenges of whether I can condense, simplify and pass forwards that knowledge for others to understand more easily.

I also enjoy the psychological aspects of personal development that technical diving should empower. The development and maintenance of an appropriate mindset and overcoming the psychological pitfalls that you learn we can all fall prey to.

I've learned so much about personal attributes and developing mental strengths like; self-discipline, prudent decision making, patience, critical self and peer-sourced analysis and overcoming one's own ego or fears by learning to recognize when they can retard your development or become an impediment to your safety.

Similarly, I've enjoyed exposing myself to physical and psychological stressors and incrementally improving my performance in response to factors and scenarios that'd typically degrade or shut-down my psychological ability to function.

Tech diving, in both practice and application, has proven itself an effective vehicle for developing certain mental strengths; self-control ,maintaining a positive mental attitude and a strong determination to succeed or survive when confronted with your worst fears.

For me, I love the 'art' of technical diving. Not just the mechanical conduct of demanding dives, but moreover the greater challenge of shaping oneself physically, psychologically and intellectually to promote and allow infinite self-development.

The added bonus is that participation in the technical diving community brings about the opportunity to meet, share with and learn from like-minded, highly motivated, capable peers and mentors.

Everyone you meet in technical diving is capable of providing a lesson of some type; the good, the bad and the ugly. But what I appreciate most are those with the boundless enthusiasm to learn, to improve their capacity and to share that willingly with others.

Last edited:
well im very lucky in one way as I've not been diving more then 3 years and I've got more things to do and accomplish than time available - Im 60 now and my list just gets longer and longer - my main inspiration for technical diving is to excel in all the various aspects of diving from trim and buoyancy skill to gas planning and executing a dive as it was planned. Theres also the internal journey of managing stress and keeping it together when it doesnt go smoothly and having to problem solve, theres a lot of satisfaction in that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom