How do you "sidemount" rental tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's simply a case of whether you can cut-away the cylinder if entangled/entrapped. Some might say that using a double-ender provides sufficient redundancy of the release to overcome this hazard - but I think if you progress into diving confined spaces you might not agree with that (I don't).

A single bolt-snap can easily jam. If connected metal-to-metal, you can't release the cylinder at all.

Thanks for the answer Andy - logic suggested that this would be the reason, I guess that it should not be such a problem if using standard tank cam bands for the bottom connection because if the bolt snap jammed you could just ping the strap open and slide the tank out or cut the webbing (maybe hard - but possible). Phil

Thanks for the answer Andy - logic suggested that this would be the reason, I guess that it should not be such a problem if using standard tank cam bands for the bottom connection because if the bolt snap jammed you could just ping the strap open and slide the tank out or cut the webbing (maybe hard - but possible). Phil

Yep - which makes it not quite so critical for recreational/open-water sidemount diving. For overhead, that'd still be an unacceptable compromise.

It sounds like you don't need the upper clip, stage rigging kits also tend to have tails which are way too long for use on Al tanks. If you think you need an upper clip for Al tanks but use a small rope or bungee loop with a bolt snap you can remove once in the water - having the clip and stage rigging there for back-up just gets in the way on Al tanks.
Karl

Karl, I just finished my SM course and we obviously have a very different level of experience. I have to confess that I could not really figure out the meaning of your advise.:) Nevertheless, your post in another thread is very informative. It answers most of my questions. Thanks!

J.

BTW, I mount my tanks exactly as in this video.

Recognizing this is an old thread, I wanted to share the following video, which I think answers the original poster's question nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09CMMomCI8

Haha! As if someone shared that :D

For rental tanks, (or purely right handed/ones without a shoulder to hook the bungee on, I wrap a single piece of bungee under the neck of the cylinder, attach it to my shoulder D-ring and then add a turn over the valve wheel, like this lady does (7:00 mark) Sidemount Skill Demo by Blue Label Diving on Vimeo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom