How do you repair a hole in wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thumper517

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings everyone,

How do I repair a small tear along the seam in my wet suit? Is there any special adhesive that is recommended for this?

scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will see a bunch of similar threads.
BTW: Welcome to ScubaBoard.
David

Thumper517:
Greetings everyone,

How do I repair a small tear along the seam in my wet suit? Is there any special adhesive that is recommended for this?

It's fairly easy.

Get some drysuit cement from the dive shop, it's sold in small cans. It's like contact cement but optimized for use on neoprene. Cement the butt joint then restitch with NYLON thread, usually sold as upolstry thread. If it's a thicker suit get a curled needle and make blind stitche across the seam without going through the far side. This will make a watertight repair.

Pete

Trident make a noprene cement available in many dive stores. Follow instructions (2 coats with some drying time then stick them together). I have not found it necessary to do any additional sewing. Unlike aquaseal, this cement stretches with the suit.

If its a large hole, ask you local dive shop for a piece of scrap neoprene or purchase something cheap, like a beer cozy, to chop up. Get some neoprene cement (Block Surf and Trident) and glue the patch in place. Put the patch on the inside of your suit and it will be less visable. No need to sew.

If it's nylon coated neoprene, you can considerably strengthen the joint, and avoid sewing by using an iron-on sealing tape like Melco or McNett Iron Mend (same thing, just iron mend is wider and easier to find).

The best stuff is Aqua Seal from Mcnett. It comes in just a single tube - I don't have it by itself on our site - but if you can't find it locally - just give me a shout... I think a tube is about 5 or 6 bucks. It comes in a whole kit of stuff in the McNett Care Kit as well: http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Gearcare

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom