How do you prevent sunburns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parabuzzle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

So, I have noticed that, since moving to norcal, I get sunburned whenever I go diving here. (I'm from Florida and it rarely happened there). So, I have tried all kinds of things but still end up red. Does anyone have any solutions to this "burning" problem? Like a Super Waterproof sunscreen or dipping your head in zinc? I found this stuff called "Aloe Gator" that claims it will last 2 hours (up to 8 hours) of snorkeling in salt water. Has anyone tried it?

I use Banana Boat, but reapply when needed. Spent days on end in a boat exposed to the full sun and Banana Boat has helped prevent sun burns.

Put the stuff on some time before getting in the water to give it a chance to settle in (otherwise it'll just float right away). Reapply it when you get out. No matter how waterproof it says it is, it'll still wash off eventually so you want to get the jump on it. Don't take cloudy days for granted, there's still a lot of UV bouncing around, especially when you're bobbing in the water at head level. Unfortunately, there's no sunscreen panacea (that I know of, anyway).

Alternatively maybe you could do the invisible man thing and just wrap bandages around yourself? The only surefire sunburn protection I know of is staying home and sitting in the dark. :wink:

I am a land surveyor in Florida, and I know a thing or 70 about sun protection.
I wear Bull Frog sun screen typically, and wide brim hats when in the sun.
I wear a skin always when diving/snorkeling.
Where are you getting burned?
Both anatomically and geographically info needed.
I am confused, you posted this in NorCal forum, and I thought when diving there, wetsuits and hoods were mandatory.
Chug
Will stay tuned.

As someone lacking locks on his pate, I have to be extra careful because I have more skin showing on the top of my dome.

Wear a hat. One of the soft fabric boonie style, floppy hats that helps cover your neck, too.

If I see the sun shining brightly, I'll even stick it in my drysuit pocket when shore diving. Just throw it in the rinse bucket with your other gear when finished.

The drysuit/wetsuit/boatcoat will cover the rest of your exposed skin, except for the occasional day over 85 degrees in Monterey when it's too hot to keep it on.

You can get a tropical hood. I 'presently' tend to dive in very warm sunny places most days & find it odd most don't don a hood or some other covering. Especially full time instructors. It takes a little getting used to but well worth it IMO. The light lycra hood is even conformable when its in the mid 90s. I just dip it in water before putting it on. Also makes it easier if you venture into diving dry/cold as you get used to a hood. One more plus, hair is not an issue with your mask.

Lycra Hood Pinnacle I am modeling it in my profile picture in sunny Phuket :) A little sunscreen on your nose and forehead and all is good.

I normally wear this one (not featured in the picture). A little heavier but not as tight. For the price you could order in both and return one. Just check with Scuba Toys if you go that route.

When you arrive to the site sunscreen up. Pay particular attention to your face including lips. This should last ya until you hit the water. Try to avoid getting your face really wet and then surface kicking some more. Try to minimize the surface kick on the return (heck try to minimize the surface kick always). Do realize that the surface of the water is acting like a giant UV reflector right to your face.

I am a land surveyor in Florida, and I know a thing or 70 about sun protection.
I wear Bull Frog sun screen typically, and wide brim hats when in the sun.
I wear a skin always when diving/snorkeling.
Where are you getting burned?
Both anatomically and geographically info needed.
I am confused, you posted this in NorCal forum, and I thought when diving there, wetsuits and hoods were mandatory.
Chug
Will stay tuned.

I'm diving in Monterey, CA and the part of my face not covered by the hood (face) gets really sunburned in like an impressive amount of time.

I use Bullfrog clear, non-greasy, alchohol based (dries instanly), sweat and waterproof, in a non-aerosol pump-spray bottle. Maybe you're just allergic to your hood-with-a-latex-skin-around-the-face.

What do you guys do to prevent getting sunburned in the eyes after long surface swims? I find that if I'm diving the whole weekend, my eyes end up all itchy. It seems that scuba goggles don't have UV protection...at least it seems the hydro optix goggles don't. I guess the majority of divers aren't doing a lot of surface swims.

Back
Top Bottom