How do you prep for a big job interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know - this is what I do, and it sounds a bit crazy, but it helps me familiarize myself with what sounds good, how to answer questions, etc. I ask myself some of the behavioral sort of questions in the shower or in the car (when alone essentially).

The sort of questions I like to familiarize myself with are:
(1) Describe a difficult work situation and how you were able to resolve it.
(2) What are some of the challenges that you personally face
(3) Why do you want to work here?
(4) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

These sorts of things. My speaking outloud I can hear how longwinded or discombobulated (sp) my answers might sound. Helps me feel more comfortable when those, or simliar questions, are asked.

As for the coffee suggestion - my recommendation would be this. Do whatever it is that you normally do. Don't hype up on coffee or not drink it when you normally do. You want to be who you are (only a bit more shiny and bright faced), not shaky b/c you drank too much coffee or suffering from a caffeine-loss headache. :)

Best of luck to you!

Oh, here's a big one. Google the organization, read their literature, read their annual report, google the key people in the organization and your interviewer. Learn who they are and what's important to them. Then drop these things in the interview. It may look obvious what you're doing, but that's okay. It shows you are diligent and enthusiastic.

I always had pretty good luck with interviewing them to some extent. Remember it works both ways, so don't act too needy. If you do some research, you will be able to ask the the "right questions". I have always felt people who ask good, relevant questions are more impressive than people that give good answers.

There are way more people out there that "know the answers" and fewer who know what the real questions are. (plus it comes across as more humble :D )

I think 20-40 % should be you asking them various things. You can tell them a lot about you by what you ask, and it's less obvious that you are tooting your own horn. (of course, think it through beforehand and then let it appear in the natural flow)

In this way, I think it is easier for them to visualize you making a contribution to the "company" not just to yourself via a nice paycheck.

Not always true, but at least half of the bosses out there are asking themselves "how will this person reflect on me" as opposed to what they should be asking which is "how will this person advance the company?" Look for signs of insecurity or confidence and by all means don't threaten a weak person that stands between you and something you want.

JB has this issue with superiors all the time. I tell him, let insecure people feel as puffed up as they need to feel, if they are nothing more than an obstacle. That one is hard for men, I think.

I can't believe you are all dissing my coffee idea! I tell you it's brilliant. Obviously you have to be able to hold your bladder for the length of the interview, and don't have so much that you are bouncing off the seat. But especially for those early morning interviews, a little artificial pick me up is just the ticket.

Some great advice here so far. Just a few points to add.

I'll second Catherine's point about the interviewer's own concerns. Don't be seen as a threat to their own job. You want to appear competent but if the interviewer will be your boss doing similar work, you don't want to appear more competent than they are.

Be prepared for the typical interview questions and try not to answer in cliches. They have heard all the cliche answers many times. Man interviewers like to have their own special questions designed to throw you off your practiced responses and see how you react and improvise.

You want to show that you are interested in the job but you don't want to appear desperate. For your own sake as well, give yourself a 20% chance and don't view it as make or break. It's not like a minimum wage high school job where an interview means you got the job as long as you don't turn out to be an antisocial slob. A company may interview many qualified candidates.

CenTexDivin:
I was kinda at "the right place at the right time" at school this past week to manage to score an interview as an assistant project manager during the summer for large regional bank.

I understand that many of the members of this board are much more experienced in their careers and should be able to understand this type interaction, so I am asking, what should I do to prepare for a REAL post grad type of job (bachelors, not masters.)

FYI, I'll be graduating in Dec with a B Pub Admin (BPA), a B Bus Admin (BBA) w/ conc on Entrepreneurship, and a NAUI DM license.

I'm planning on attending the meeting in a suit & tie, and I've been researching the company, as well as the position, and have been trying to come up with some questions to ask the interviewers about the company/position, in order to "express" interest in the opportunity, but....

My question is, "what would you do to prepare for this interview and what should I try to achieve my best chances of success for being offered this opportunity?"

Thanks,
Pete

In addition to all the excellent suggestions you have already received I would add the following:

1. Don't use acronyms. You might be seen as someone who would not be able to adequately converse with business people
  2. Spend some time reviewing the following web site - PMI is the certification agency for project managers
    http://www.pmi.org/info/default.asp
  3. Ask them if they encourage project managers to become PMI certified
  4. If so, do they have tuition assistance for the cost of becoming certified?
  5. Mention that you feel everyone in an organization has something valuable to contribute regardless of their ranking within the organization
  6. A good project manager will recognize the value of the previous statement to the benefit of the project
  7. Listen closely to those who are most critical of your project - benefits are obtained by doing so
  8. Good project managers lead by example - Start and end meetings on time, provide an agenda and stick to it, don't allow an individual to monopolize project meetings
  9. Don't compromise your values, ethics or integrity for the sake of a project or a job
  10. You might also work in the fact that you dive master training has enhanced your ability to work well with people of all different ability levels

You should be able to use many of the suggestions above as part your answers to questions posed by the employer and as the basis of questions you will ask that get you the answers you need and leave a positive impression with the interviewer.

Hopefully I did not get to wordy and put you to sleep in the process :)

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate everyone's advice on this matter.

I've been on plenty of job interviews before, but they've always been for unskilled jobs, ie server, retail sales, etc. This is my first appointment where I was told to report to the HR department for the interview, instead of just dropping off an application with the manager on duty.

for me, i sit down for 10 minutes before the interview and gather my thoughts.

visualize the various questions that they could ask me (past experience, why i should get the job, strengths/weaknesses etc) and answer them out loud, so i know what to frame my answers. it also eliminates a lot of "um, um" in my answers.

aim to get there 30 minutes earlier, so you can take your time and not rush. sit in your car and relax. walk in 10 minutes before your interview time.

when answering questions, speak slow, take your time and make sure you hit your strengths.

don't lie about knowing something when you don't.

relax, it's only a job. if you don't get it, more time to go diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom