How do you prep for a big job interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
I was kinda at "the right place at the right time" at school this past week to manage to score an interview as an assistant project manager during the summer for large regional bank.

I understand that many of the members of this board are much more experienced in their careers and should be able to understand this type interaction, so I am asking, what should I do to prepare for a REAL post grad type of job (bachelors, not masters.)

FYI, I'll be graduating in Dec with a B Pub Admin (BPA), a B Bus Admin (BBA) w/ conc on Entrepreneurship, and a NAUI DM license.

I'm planning on attending the meeting in a suit & tie, and I've been researching the company, as well as the postion, and have been trying to come up with some questions to ask the interviewers about the company/position, in order to "express" interest in the opportunity, but....

My question is, "what would you do to prepare for this interview and what should I try to achieve my best chances of success for being offered this opportunity?"

Thanks,
Pete

Since it's a PM position, you will need to emphasize and show to the interviewer that you have good interpersonal skills. PM jobs require dealing as the hub between a lot of different specialty groups, ability to listen and evaluate, then compromise (only if it doesn't impact the project) to achieve your goal. Good organization skills are also a must, since you will need to compile all the data into a stream lined process. Most of all a "can do" attitude.

Be familiar with planning software, such as MS Project, maybe Visio for flowcharting. If the PM job is within your specialties, then it's something less to worry about. If you don't know something, tell them you don't know but are willing to learn. Most good PM's have a really good BS detector.

I'd ask about type of project and length, try to ascertain what key skills they are looking for. As an asst. PM you'll probably doing a bunch of the PM's work.

Hope this helps. I've done a lot of interviewing for candidates. Some of the things I look for in a candidate.

Good luck!

Jack

rigeurin gave some great advice once:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2639032&highlight=interview#post2639032

riguerin:
My father-in-law taught Business at George Washington & American Universities. He gave me some of the best job interview advice I've ever received. I'll pass it on to you:

1.) Give information
2.) Get information
3.) Make a friend

I've received an offer 100% of the time using this method. Good luck on the interview.

To me the biggest sure fire way to get a job is to:

1) Don't be nervous, there's a 50/50 chance you'll get it.
2) Speak clearly, keep your responses to questions short and sweet.
3) I personally, never volunteer information. =)
4) Ask questions that pertain to the everyday working of their company.

Okay, I'm going to share with you my secret sure-fire way to make a good first impression.

As someone who has hired lots of people, one of the things they are looking for in you is that you want the job. You do this by showing enthusiasm. And how do you do this???

Before the interview, drink lots of coffee!!! Seriously, overdose on coffee!!

Secondly, as this is a first interview, you need to be inquisitive. You are not expected to understand what the job entails at this stage. So when they ask why you want the job, respond that you would first like to discuss what the job entails. Now the interviewer is talking about the job responsibilities, giving you all the juicy info you need to show them how you just so happen to have the skills they need for this position.

These are my best tips.

Just re-read your post - you sound young, so I'll add this - I interview lots of young people fresh out of grad school so I speak from experience, don't take this personally.

For god's sake, dress appropriately. That means conservatively. If the interviewer is a woman, remember that they notice things us guys don't see, like if your shoes are dirty or if your tie is too loud. It is better to overdress than underdress.

Hygiene, be on time, don't accept the coffee (you just had five cups), don't be shy. On a first interview, you may only have 20 minutes so plan accordingly.

Oh, here's a big one. Google the organization, read their literature, read their annual report, google the key people in the organization and your interviewer. Learn who they are and what's important to them. Then drop these things in the interview. It may look obvious what you're doing, but that's okay. It shows you are diligent and enthusiastic. You'd be surprised how few young people do all these things.

I find it pretty easy to weed out the potential superstars from the rest in interviews. It's the resumes that drive me crazy because they all look the same.

Steve had some good advice in his last post. I don't like going into interviews scatter-brained so I'd personally lay off the coffee. Decide for yourself if that sounds like a good idea.

I'll just add one thing to what the others have said. Be yourself. Don't say what you think they want to hear because they'll see right though that. if you be yourself and they hire you then you'll know for sure it's because they liked what you have in house. if you be yourself and they don't hire you then it was probably a mismatch anyway....

Getting the job isn't everything. Being the right person for the right job is. Feel free to quote me on that.

Also DO your HOMEWORK. Make sure you know what you applied for and what they have.

Something else I'll mention is that it's as much an interview for them as it is for you. They're holding all the cards except one. They need someone and they have to have something you want too. Use that little bit of information to put your mind at ease and ask open questions like "tell me about the position", "what's the biggest problem you're facing right now", "what you do expect of the person you hire", "what would turn you off... " and so on. (just generating ideas here).

Finally, be prepared for questoins like :

- why are you applying. Why here? Why now? Why this position?
- what are your goals?
- tell us about yourself
- what are your strengths (read this as : what is it about your personality that's going to make you succeed)
- what are your weaknesses (read this as : what do I hate doing)
-

For example, in my case I usually tell potential employers that one of my biggest strengths is that I hardly ever become cynical and that I have a talent for building good performing and open teams. When they ask about my weakness I'll tell them that I'm very independent and self-steering and I need a boss who manages me by defining the results he needs. If he tries micro-managing me then we won't get along.

These are only just examples to give some something to work with but be prepared to say something so that they get a good idea of not only *what* you can do but the kind of person you are.

The point here is to google around for a list of these kinds of standard questions and think about them ahead of time. if you let yourself get surprised by such a question then that will also tell the interviewer something about you..... and it won't be good.

R..

I think some of the companies are using behavioral interviews- they ask questions like "tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like" or "tell me about a time that you saw a co-worker do something unethical" or "tell me about a time what you worked on a project that didn't turn out as expected."

I'm not sure if there are right or wrong answers, but I think they are looking for "normal" responses. If you tell them than a co-worker made you mad one day, and you went back into the office with guns and shot the place out, then you might not get the job. But if you say "I confronted him and told him directly" or "I talked to his manager about it" or "I took some time and just let it go" then there are probably considered "normal" and gives them some insight into your personality and style. Again, I don' think there are right or wrong answers, but it let's them gauge how well you would fit into the position and the culture. As Rob pointed out, being the right person for the job is important.

I was doing a lunch interview with college student and I asked him to tell me what he does for fun. Most people say things like hang out with friends, see movies, go out to the bars, etc., but this guy couldn't come up with an answer. I told to to make something up and he still drew a blank. I figured he didn't have a social life and wasn't very creative. There were other factors and opinions and he did not get the job.

Thank you notes. Write thank you notes. Thanks for the interview. I want the job. Thank you for spending your valuable time talking to me.

Anything to set you above the rest.

TwoBit

All this advice seems very appropriate, except about the part about overdosing on coffee. Nothing is worse than having to leave the room to urinate in the middle of an interview, or worse yet, not leaving the room which leaves the impression that you can hardly wait for the interview to be over.

I worked for a government executive as a staff assistant. He told me that for each job he applied for he would find the previous position holder (easier to do in government) and talk to them before even applying. He related how in an interview, the boss in interviewing you and you are interviewing them. If the position does not fit, don't take it. The questions listed in the other responses that you should be prepared to answer you may also want to ask of the organization. But tailor your response. If you talk about a position for professional development and your research has indicated specific opportunities the company offers, be sure to mention those. A classic question is "where do you see yourself in 5 years..."

Think of yourself as a bundle of skills, not just what you learned in class. As a DM you have had to deal with a wide range of people in a wide range of circumstances while keeping your cool (hopefully).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom