How do you pay for SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeiLing:
Where I live $600 a month would be a mortgage payment on a cemetary plot!:shakehead

No kidding. I wouldn't want to live in a place here that would rent for that low an amount!

DeputyDan:
The best way to pay for Scuba is to

#1. Get off yer *** (assuming this applies)
#2. Get a good education
#3. Use that education to get a good job.
#4. Work hard to make lots of mulah
#5. Use the mulah to pay for dive trips!

The old fashioned American way!

HA! Maybe so, but it's darn hard paying for diving when you are still in the middle of step 2!

I'm a grad student. I fund my diving through the charity of others, and by occasionally not eating...

DeputyDan:
The best way to pay for Scuba is to

#1. Get off yer *** (assuming this applies)
#2. Get a good education
#3. Use that education to get a good job.
#4. Work hard to make lots of mulah
#5. Use the mulah to pay for dive trips!

The old fashioned American way!

I'm an infantryman in the us army, I'm off my *** by 0430 in the morning. I've got an associates degree and am trying to squeeze in as much education as I can while still serving. I plan on getting a good job once I'm out of the military and have a plenty good work ethic. But as everyone who's ever been in the military knows... the pay sucks. But I make it happen. I sold my handgun to pay for my OW certification and ripped out my stereo and sold that to pay for some of the basic gear. Where there's a will there's a way. Now I'm going to afghanistan again to pay for the rest of my gear. Ahhh... gotta love the american way.

BeachJunkie:
I'm an infantryman in the us army, I'm off my *** by 0430 in the morning. I've got an associates degree and am trying to squeeze in as much education as I can while still serving. I plan on getting a good job once I'm out of the military and have a plenty good work ethic. But as everyone who's ever been in the military knows... the pay sucks. But I make it happen. I sold my handgun to pay for my OW certification and ripped out my stereo and sold that to pay for some of the basic gear. Where there's a will there's a way. Now I'm going to afghanistan again to pay for the rest of my gear. Ahhh... gotta love the american way.
And yet if you went private with your soldering skills you would be making $20k per month....just doesnt seem right does it?

DeputyDan:
No kidding. I wouldn't want to live in a place here that would rent for that low an amount!
Who said anything about $600 per month, it was per week...and that was mortgage repayments not rent.

Azza:
Who said anything about $600 per month, it was per week...and that was mortgage repayments not rent.

:11: there's still advantages in living in a 3rd world country, after all.

I sell plywood and my better half teaches high school.

IT Manager for a Japanese company.

Title says more then the pay coming with that title. (ain't taxes fun)

BeachJunkie:
Everyone keeps talking about thier "relationship with a dive shop". How exactly does one manage to get a relationship that warrants free air and such? Are you doing DM work for them of somethin?
I'm an electrician and the LDS always needs repaired or replaced. No cash ever changes hands.

BeachJunkie:
Everyone keeps talking about thier "relationship with a dive shop". How exactly does one manage to get a relationship that warrants free air and such? Are you doing DM work for them of somethin?
First look for a "friendly" dive shop. A good indicator is one that has a sofa somewhere in their storefront area or someplace where the regulars congregate on store property. While going the DM route is one way, in addition, some shops like to keep the regulars around to help with classes. The more herders at the back of the pack in an OW class the better.

But of course, you also have to be loyal. You're not going to develop a "relationship" with a shop if you're buying all your gear elsewhere.

And you provide services to them as well such as KSDiver said. They have a blowout sale, you're there helping, they're going to paint the shop, you're there brush in hand. They need someone to man the store for a day, you offer. Whatever you have to offer that they don't have to pay for. One hand washes the other.

Back
Top Bottom