How do you mount your pony bottle ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a 6 c.f. pony bottle and looking for a way to mount it.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto BC, and looked at Zeagle's web site for a mounting pouch or device, but this is only available for the Ranger LT model !!!

They do have straps for tank mounting, but I'm not sure if they are only for larger pony bottles !!!

The pouch for the Ranger mounts the bottle between the bladder and the harness itself, and seems to be a better way to mount it 'cause the way it is mounted, the bottle seems to be less in the way.

The rep at my LDS told me to mount it on the tank, because mounting it on one side adds more weight on the side it is mounted. If I mount it on the tank, the weight is better centered.

And while I'm here, another question: Is the pony bottle negative or positive boyancy ?
Will I need to add or remove weights ?

I went with a sling and I like it so far. My use is mainly when I'm solo. It's a grab and go item with no set-up and no resident hardware anywhere except on it's self. On a deeper dive w/ a buddy I have the ability of handing it off.

Handing it off leads into the weight discussion. My 19CF is -4 pounds in buoyancy with regulator, sling hardware and all. If you want to the ability to hand it off you need to ignore it in your weighting scheme though you may want to trim for it. Otherwise you can dial things in around it.

I do place my weights to counter the pony bottle and I forget it's there.

Pete

Pete

Last edited:
The guy has a 6 cu-ft tank so it is very easy to mount to the tank. A VERY simple and secure method is to buy a standard BC tank retainer cam strap. Buy two hose clamps that will fit the PONY. Cut one 4-inch piece of weight belt.

Lossely place one hose clamp around the pony, say in the middle,

Slide the 4 inch piece of belt under one hose clamp with the belt axis parralel to tank..

Slide the tank retainer belt under the 4-inch piece of belt.

attach the second hose clamp to the pony such that it locks down the other end of the belt, which will securely trap the tank retainer belt.

Basically, you are clamping a standard tank retainer (cam belt) to the pony with two hose clamps and a piece of belt.

Then to use.. Slide the tank retainer down the main tank and close cam.

Then, slide BC unto main tank.

And you are done. You will have to move the hose clamps and belt and stuff to be compatible with your particular bc

I have the Zeagle tank straps and they work great for my 19Cuft tank, but would also hold my 6Cuft with no problem. For the size of your tank I would probably sling it, but you may PM Scott Zeagle over on the Zeagle equipment tread and see if there is anyway to attach the Ranger Ltd zipper mounts to your Stilletto. I know this can be done with some of their other BCs, so you might be able to do some modifications yourself and get exactly what you want.

Save it for suit inflation and buy a 40. Then sling it so you can have full control of the tank. 6 cf is not enough for a deep dive or a stressful situation.

Just my 2psi
Butch

Sling it.
You can then see it and turn it on and off easy ( you will need to do this on every dive to pressurise the hoses) and see the SPG and see if it is leaking.

Although I do agree that its not really big enough for a deep dive it is better than nothing. (just).

Lets say ( and im working in imperial so forgive any errors) you dived to 130ft (40meters) and you are stressed so your SAC is elevated perhaps 1cf (28litres) per minute. At 130 ft you will consume 5 cf per minute. Its not going to last long is it.
Did the rep at the dive shop tell you that?

I doubt you will want to change your weighting at all.

Back
Top Bottom