How do you lure an octopus out of a crevice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a Brit like yourself, "octopodes" is preferred, followed by "octopuses," and then "octopi," which is only acceptable because pedants lost the battle to a relentless sea of ignorance. "Octopi" is the plural you would choose if you thought the "-us" was the Latin noun ending that takes "-i" in plural, as in "radius," "stimulus," and "nucleus," but it is actually derived from the Greek "pous," meaning "foot."

"Octopodes" sounds too stuffy for me, and I don't want to have to explain it every time I use it, so I go with "octopuses," and smile condescendingly whenever somebody uses "octopi." :wink:

Umm, taken care of in post #5 - see the video.

I love how octos make man's trash into a condo.

e-mailimpr2P21618712.jpg

While planning my first trip to Hawaii I checked out various dive ops. Sea Paradise offered a video tape for $19.95 which would be free if you went with them. When I received the video I was shocked to see the DM grab an octopus and make it ink several times while blocking its escape. They also had divers pulling an eel out of its den and holding it so they could feel it trying to swim through their grasp. Needless to say, I went with another shop and sent Sea Paradise a not-so-nice letter.
There is too much to see and study in our local reefs to feel a need to harass anything.

I'm with you. This is the video that led me to decide against using this dive op. It saddens me.

You've heard of a genie in a bottle... well, this is an octopus in a bottle from one of the recent Avalon Harbor Clean Ups (an annual event scheduled for this coming weekend):

octopus%20Avalon%20Harbor%20Cleanup%20collage.jpg

Not a grammar pedant, but just pointing out that it is technically "octopuses". Don't know why.

Etymologically speaking, it should actually be "octopus" both in singular and plural. My reasoning is that "octopus" is one of those Latin words whose plural ending is not the usual "-i" but "-us." "Cornus" is another example (horn). Plural is the same as singular. The plural of the Greek word for "foot" ("pous") that was later latinized to "-pus" is also "pous." Therefore, I use the same singular and plural for octopus.

...and I thought taking both Latin and Ancient Greek in High School was pointless... :D

I'm with you. This is the video that led me to decide against using this dive op. It saddens me.

disgusting indeed!

I have had numerous octopus encounters but always initiated by the octopus. Sometimes the camera reflection interests them. Sometimes they have played with my fingers I have had them stroke my hand and camera. Maybe ours are more interactive?

The Aquarium staff at Manly Aquarium told me they capture them from the waters around the aquarium but only keep them captive for a short period then release them. They are so intelligent they get stressed in captivity so they monitor them and do regular capture/release to minimize harm.

Do some night dives at Vets. The last few weeks we have found at least 3 to 4 little guys each dive. If you go slow and pay attention they are sitting out in the open.

This week we even found a few fist sized jelly fish, really cool when you light them up.

Too bad the octopus didn't yank that dude's face mask and regulator off. That would definitely be a laugh and a half.

Back
Top Bottom