How do you like the computer you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the happy owner of an Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra.

The only thing I would change is the size: it is simply too big.

Beforehand I owned an old Aladin, changed to the Ultra when I got Nitrox certification.

Originally posted by bgonderi

As far as software goes, I just received a copy (been waiting for the software to be released ever since I bought the computer about 6 months ago). Unfortunately, the installation process totally trashed my Windows NT machine (which the software claims to support). Tech support will be receiving a nasty call on Monday. :( The software CD itself contained versions of the software (called OceanLog) for many of their other computers as well - not sure if there are any major differences per model of computer. The data cable plugs into the side of the computer, so you don't have to remove it from the boot to transfer data.

How did you get the software? Is it a beta version? My LDS says it's not out yet.

ET

Originally posted by bgonderi
My wife and I have Oceanic Versa Pros (the navcon model). So far, we're been pretty pleased with them. I like the simplicity of the user interface (two button), and the size and appearance of the computer face itself.

Has all the features we were looking for (including Nitrox) - about the only thing it was missing was air integration. If you're interested in it, theres a pretty cool demo on their web page (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com) that mimics the operation of the computer - this is what really sold me on it.

As far as software goes, I just received a copy (been waiting for the software to be released ever since I bought the computer about 6 months ago). Unfortunately, the installation process totally trashed my Windows NT machine (which the software claims to support). Tech support will be receiving a nasty call on Monday. :( The software CD itself contained versions of the software (called OceanLog) for many of their other computers as well - not sure if there are any major differences per model of computer. The data cable plugs into the side of the computer, so you don't have to remove it from the boot to transfer data.

All in all, we've been really happy with them.

How much confidence do you have that the software issue will be fixed? Does this computer have a dive planning mode? How often do you have to change the batteries?

ET

I have the Aeris Savant (discontinued). I think the algorithims are fine, but the download software has problems. It will not work on Windows 2000 or above, and the company has no plans to make it work on Windows 2000, since they discontinued the computer. Not very good customer support.

Originally posted by sumguy
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus. Bought it last year as part of my first gear. Love it. I like the fact that it adjusts for altitude automatically. My buddy has a Suunto Cobra, and forgot to adjust the altitude when we went from Lake Tahoe to sea level. Needless to say, his computer was reduced to a bottom timer for the week, as it was bent on the first dive. I like the display, and the compass mounting, and the quick disconnect. So far, the only thing I don't like, is the fact that on Nitrox dives, it uses a max PPO of 1.60, and I can't change that. The Cobra is adjustable.

Is there any way of going by the Ox accumulation bar to know when you're getting near the 1.4 level? Is there a way of displaying the pO2 level as you go along? I was looking at the manual for that and some of the instructions for making certain settings are "press button A 11 times" or "press button B 13 times," etc -- is it tedious to change settings?? I must say, I like the Cobra feature where it automatically reverts to an O2 setting of 21% if you don't use it for a period of time.

Well, we've been asking about it every time we visit the shop - they didn't have it three weeks ago (last time we were there). Well, it's not *supposed* to be beta, anyway.

Can't really say on whether the issues will be fixed or not. I received a reply back saying that they'd received my email about the installation issues and had forwarded it to their software engineer.

Yes, it does have a dive planning mode.

According to the manual, expected battery life ranges from 100 dive hours (if 1 1-hour dive per day) to over 300 dive hours (if 3 1-hour dives per dive day). The battery is a CR2450, so nothing too exotic.

I don't do nitrox (yet), but saw your questions regarding the Datamax. The Versa Pro manual claims that you can set a PO2 alarm for 1.40 ATA or 0.2 ATA less than the user-settable PO2 alarm setpoint (1.20 - 1.60 in .10 increments). Appears that you can set it to default FO2 to 50% after a dive. It'll also show a numeric value for PO2 during a Nitrox dive.

DivingDoc,
As I understand it, there's no way to use the oxygen accumulation bar graph to determine your PO2. It's only to measure (theoretically) the oxygen absorbed during the dive and accumulated on repetitive dives. Although, the top bar will flash if you exceed a PO2 of 1.60.
If your PO2 equals or exceeds 1.40, then it is displayed, and the computer beeps at you. Then, you can monitor it. It's not a major gripe for me, since I figure my MOD before the dive, anyway, but it would still be nice if my computer would let me decide what I think is a safe PO2.
As far as pushing a button 13 times, that's no exaggeration, but only in pre- or post-dive modes. During the dive, one or two pushes is all you need.

Originally posted by sumguy
............. but it would still be nice if my computer would let me decide what I think is a safe PO2.

The Cobra can be set for 1.2 through 1.6. The default setting is 1.4

The one I own is the Orca Nitrox model, its small, no longer being made, fits either in a console or a wrist strap.

This thing is cool, becasue it calculates Nitrox tables at all percentages of O2, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, it does not lock out when you break your No Stop limits, it actually calculates your decompression times and depths for you for a safe ascent.

If you can find em used, they run agout $250, from the original $550 I paid, but well worth the money.

Dive

Well I own a Orca Edge that I've used since 1986. Never a problem and you can absolutely rely on the algorithm. Plus you can use it as a self defense weapon! I use a Datamax sport as my back up, but I hardly ever look at it. The Edge is that trusted. OK so I can't download dives and it only logs 1 dive at a time, but doing 4 tank dives I get to sit and log it in my book while I'm outgassing...:D Sure there are newer and fancier but not better=-) I also have 2 Orca Marathons my sons use. For all you Edge users, get the software upgraded to version 6.4, it is the best.

Back
Top Bottom