How do you like the computer you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had an Oceanic Data Plus since shortly after being certified. Because it is very simple to operate and get "at a glance" information from, I have never been disappointed or desired any other computer.

I do not download from the computer and therefore do not use the software.

As an aside, shelving my old Oceanic Navcon console about 20 dives ago, and moving the computer and compass to my right and left wrists has been a welcome improvement accessing and monitoring these instruments.

I have an old Ocean Edge Computek which has never let me down. It has all the info in an easy to read graphical/numeric format, logs 9 dives, automatic on/off and night light, and nice features like automatic altitude adjustment and user-changeable battery. The algorithim is fairly conservative.
Sure, it's big and clunky, but the readability and ease of operation (no buttons !) more than make up for that.

Have a genesis react. Love it. Easy to use, easy to read. User changeable batteries. Only complaint is that it doesn't automatically turn on.

Wife has a mosquito.

I've been debating about buying a wrist comp. but after seeing her mosquito, I'm just gonna get a wristmount boot for the react.

Originally posted by raxafarian
Wife has a mosquito.

I've been debating about buying a wrist comp. but after seeing her mosquito, I'm just gonna get a wristmount boot for the react.

What is it about the mosquito that you don't like?

ET

Originally posted by DivingDoc

What is it about the mosquito that you don't like?

ET

Don't like the hard to press buttons on the sides. They aren't really buttons...more like touchpads. I prefer the simplicity of the react... 2 'real' buttons if you want more info than is on the main screen during a dive. I also prefer the nitrogen loading bar graph on the react. The wife likes the mosquito and I'll admit that it seems like a decent computer... I just wouldn't consider it an 'upgrade' to my react.

She did buy the pc interface and that is a nifty toy.... I didn't get the interface for the genesis, but would imagine that it is not as good.

Hi.
I got a Dacor Transcend the last year. It´s my first computer. In my country (Spain) is not a very popular computer but the most of people use UWATEC. In general, I am not very satisfied with it. The book guide I found was not very detailed and I had to test so many sets to get an idea about the right way in which the computer runs.
I use the most conservative algoritmic and I think something is wrong with it because diving with people using UWATEC (Aladin most of them) I can ear theirs alarms many times but my computer never made a sound. Once, I tried to test the computer on the limit; I sticked the computer in a globe and put air in it. The computer went up rapidly, and the computer didn´t make any sound.
Now, when I see no divers using a dacor computer, I make myself the obvious question.

I bought a "closeout" Matrix computer, which works just fine. I like the graphical readout and the ability to do a quick battery change, but I don't like the little numbers (hey, I'm old, okay?)...

I bought it as my primary and planned to use my trusty old Monitor II as a backup. But, the Monitor has big, easy to read numbers and easy to understand readouts, plus it can easily handle decompression dives (very rare for me). It is slightly more conservative than the Matrix, but not by very much (another reason for using it as the primary).

I now carry the Matrix as a backup. My Monitor is now in the hands of USD for a battery replacement (the only negative is the sealed battery system and the price of a new battery). The good news is that my battery lasted for about 200 dives over 4 or 5 years..

Me and Buncho have a Vytec, and we both love it! I have the pc interface on the way from Simply Scuba (less than $100!!!).
Ranz

Originally posted by crab
I have had an Oceanic Data Plus since shortly after being certified. Because it is very simple to operate and get "at a glance" information from, I have never been disappointed or desired any other computer.

I do not download from the computer and therefore do not use the software.

As an aside, shelving my old Oceanic Navcon console about 20 dives ago, and moving the computer and compass to my right and left wrists has been a welcome improvement accessing and monitoring these instruments.
Ditto to all your points. Great minds and all that.... :D

I would add that the Data Plus's most annoying feature is that it must be manually activated before beginning the dive. It isn't such a big deal on the first dive day, but on the second, the "countdown to fly" timer is actively displayed. This doesn't mean that the computer's dive functions are operational, however; you still have to turn it on.

That particular design flaw has caught me on a couple of occasions. It's more than a bit annoying, because the computer will then activate itself at depth....with seriously screwed up nitrogen calculations and immediate deco requirements.

Back
Top Bottom