How do you learn your narcosis depths? Gas switches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gauging narcosis?
In light of it's not how you feel, but rather how you process challenges. How does doing two dives make that comparison easier between the different conditions?

ETA: I'm not saying one dive would tell you. Just that separating the comparison of otherwise equal events by ascent, surface interval, and descent may not help make the comparison easier.

it's not how you feel
it's how you look! Edit: darn, the link to 81 seconds in isn't working.

In light of it's not how you feel, but rather how you process challenges. How does doing two dives make that comparison easier between the different conditions?

ETA: I'm not saying one dive would tell you. Just that separating the comparison of otherwise equal events by ascent, surface interval, and descent may not help make the comparison easier.

I think you'd be surprised. I once tested this was by doing two dives to the same wreck at 125' on the same day. One on 28%, and one on 25/25. Solving math problems underwater was easier on 25/25. :wink:

Maybe I need to take up macro photography, though invert surveys might have to suffice at first.

The trouble with surveys is there is nothing to measure accuracy against. You can always try doing math problems if you are normally good at it with pen and paper. Just get someone that understands your math proficiency to write them on a waterproof notebook for you. Writing them yourself would skew results.

My cautiousness on narcosis is from knowing I was confused by my computer in the past, in the 80-100' range

Hmmm. Had you been diving with that computer for a long time? Were you just reading the default display or scrolling through menus? What was the nature of your confusion?

What about hanging at a depth for 5 minutes without He, seeing how you feel, then switching to He for 5 minutes and seeing if there is a difference? Then, if no difference, back to no He but breathing shallow, then switching to He and doing the same? So one depth, two different conditions of breathing, two gasses to see He effect.
This won't proof anything. When you're narced, you stay narced. It takes hours to get the narcosis out of your system. What a lot of instructors tell you during training (go up a little and you're no longer narced) is a fairy tale. Same fairy tale as to drink black coffee when you're drunk to sober up. Two dives on two different days will tell you more.

AJ:
When you're narced, you stay narced. It takes hours to get the narcosis out of your system. What a lot of instructors tell you during training (go up a little and you're no longer narced) is a fairy tale.

That is inconsistent with my experience. More accurately, ascending will make you less narced until you reach your normal threshold. People tend to confuse being narced with all the distractions of just being underwater. Not many people are as proficient at problem solving when stranded in the center of a busy freeway at night as they are in a quiet room.

That is inconsistent with my experience.
Your experience/feeling maybe different from study outcomes, but this has been proved in scientific experiments. Ascending makes you feel less narced, but you still are narced. So testing different gasses while staying on the same depth while being narced is nonsense.

AJ:
Your experience/feeling maybe different from study outcomes, but this has been proved in scientific experiments. Ascending makes you feel less narced, but you still are narced. So testing different gasses while staying on the same depth while being narced is nonsense.

This is honestly the first time I have ever heard of this. Are there any references you have showing this?.

AJ:
This won't proof anything. When you're narced, you stay narced. It takes hours to get the narcosis out of your system.

To me this sounds more like a CO2 hit, on top of narcosis, where proper breathing to reduce one's CO2 is not used, and the CO2 does not come back to normal fo a while. Normally an ascent will reduce my narcosis, it will not reduce a CO2 hit, unless I change my breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom