How do you keep your images organized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a tip for some of you that uses dates like I do for their Folder names. Make the format Year-Month-Day. This way the folders will always be in Chronological Order.

Here is how I have mine organized.

Everytime I download from the camera I create a new folder i.e.
030612 - My Birthday Party
040411 - Clear Springs Scuba Park
040501 - Six Flags Over Texas
040531 - Memorial Day Party

Then if I create thumbnails for the web, I just sub directory a web folder.

I've been thinking about creating a web application to manage a backend database based on the actual content of my pictures, but deep down, I know I'd be way to lazy to keep it updated.

Well, it appears that there are a lot of creative and knowledgeable folks out there who have devised all sorts of ways to index images. We just decided to let the pro's take the lead. We use Digital Pro 2.0. You can check it out here. . It allows you lots of the flexibility in developing your indexing system that many of the posts have recommended. But, it also allows you to attach keywords and categories to each image (and associate all sorts of image information). It also acts as a download interface for your cards so you can implement your naming convention as you download your images ... and it does tons of other things. It's particularly handy if you use either a Nikon or Canon camera. Check it out. We really like it.

Let's get wet! :palmtree:
Eric.

I bet if I searched I would be able to find some tips, but I have and found very few. I have 1000 of pictures that are pseudo-organized but I am looking for a more efficant way to do it. So please give me some tips or just describe how you are keeping the endless amount of pictures organized.

ahh ... thats what I was looking for. I used Pictures and Digital in the search and never found it.

That a 10,000 photo question....I'm still trying to figure out a system I can remember!

NINman:
I bet if I searched I would be able to find some tips, but I have and found very few. I have 1000 of pictures that are pseudo-organized but I am looking for a more efficant way to do it. So please give me some tips or just describe how you are keeping the endless amount of pictures organized.

Hi Ninman,

I have a Mac and a Windows based computer. I mostly use my Mac and the photos are organized by destination, date, and keywords using iPhoto.

On my Windows based computer I use Adobe's Photoshop Album. You can download the free, non-expiring, basic version or upgrade to the more advanced version for $50. Here's a link for you:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

Have Fun!
Eric

DWJ:
Between my land shots and my scuba shots I have several thousand images hanging around on my hard drive. I typically have them organized by very general category.
This would be like “Grand Cayman Feb 04” or by what ever function I’m attending.
The problem is that I’ll be looking for that perfect shot of a Blue Tang I know I have. I’ll spend an hour browsing through Bahamas images or the Cayman images looking for that special shot. So I’m due for a reorganization.

How do you keep your images organized so you can locate them quickly?

Dave

I have a Mac and a Windows based computer. I mostly use my Mac and the photos are organized by destination, date, and keywords using iPhoto.

On my Windows based computer I use Adobe's Photoshop Album. You can download the free, non-expiring, basic version or upgrade to the more advanced version for $50. Here's a link for you:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

Have Fun!
Eric

I also recommend i-photo and photo shop on a Mac. No sense in using a PC for graphics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom