How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
Well, all these comparisons and analogies, man....Look at the poll before the first thread, more do it than not. Be it all the time or part, it's happening, alot ! What can be done ? Tell those who do it about the perrils and hope they have the skills and common sense to survive the journey. Mentor the curious, and less experienced and help them with the skills required, and give them the benifit of your experiences. Bashing it won't change things, it never does. People just don't speak of it. Don't force the issue underground, leave it in the open, to be debated.....I grant you it's a serious topic and passions run high. Lighten up some.......You can't help anyone who thinks they are being yelled at.....Oh, yea, I do my share of solo diving as some of you know. However , I'm not an advocate. It works for me, I'm not everybody, and I don't want others deciding for me.
Wreck/Tec

Well Said!

When I solo dive I dive double tanks and it's less than 60 feet. I noticed in a reply above someone mentioned using a Spare Air. A Spare Air should not be relied upon as a redundant piece of equipment below 60'. Most people that buy them don't realise that you only get a breath and a half at 100' with one. For the price you're much further ahead buying a small 40cu al. with a decent 1st and 2nd stage.

I dive solo about 75-80% of the time. If I dive deep, I am totally redundant (except for my brain). However, I only solo dive in areas I'm very familiar with. Would never consider it in sitets I haven't dived at least 20-25 times with a buddy.

My work necessitates solo diving. Although there are other divers who live on the island, most are involved professionally (and therefore busy most days I go out) while the rec divers are working most days. It is difficult to find a buddy, much less an experienced one.

While there are inherent risks in both solo and buddy diving, to date I have experienced a much higher frequency of significant problems when diving with buddies who overstate their experience and qualifications. I ended up searching for the body of one supposed PADI AOW diver after I failed to find her at the surface... only to discover 25 minutes later that she was topside and dressed to go out for margaritas with some guys she met after abandoning me underwater and surfacing!

I do not recommend solo diving for those who do not have enough experience to be comfortable underwater, or those who are diving new locations, or those who dive recklessly or foolishly.

In fact, I'm still searching for my ideal buddy/mate so I will always have someone with me when I dive! Any takers (of the female gender)?

Dr. Bill

Are you safer diving solo or with someone you do not know?

I have never needed help from anyone under water and I certainly do not need moral support. I have had to help out a few divers though.

What does my experience tell me?

I am safer by myself.

SimonN once bubbled...

I have never needed help from anyone under water and I certainly do not need moral support.

The only word you are missing here is YET...

Not too many people ever think that accidents are going to happen to THEM.

Good luck.

For everyone out there who is really into the solo diving thing...please leave a detailed dive plan with someone else.

I dive solo, its pretty much the why I do everything, and I dont really see much more risk at it as a person doing a tech dive w/ a buddy. Something goes wrong with a tech dive doesnt it become more or less a recovery then a rescue?

bwerb once bubbled...

The only word you are missing here is YET...

I think either I have not made my point clear enough or you have missed it.

My point is that, IME, having a buddy is as likely to double the chances of something going wrong as to double your escape routes.

Far from it. Barring a whole series of things going wrong at the same time, which could well result in two people swimming in the brown stuff anyway, or anything extremely unlikely happening (e.g. a shark bitting my head off), I have an escape route for all the diving I do. I'd be stupid not to and I don't belive I am stupid.

kodiak once bubbled...
I dive solo, its pretty much the why I do everything, and I dont really see much more risk at it as a person doing a tech dive w/ a buddy. Something goes wrong with a tech dive doesnt it become more or less a recovery then a rescue?

It's not so much that, but the level of redundancy that is (should) be carried on tech dives allows solo diving to be undertaken more safely than otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom