How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Does that mean you don't want to take the no-seatbelt class? What you say make sense of course but it isn't much fun.

If I want to "legally" drive without a seatbelt, I'll drive my truck.
Believe it or not, in Georgia, trucks are considered "farm vehicles" and seatbelt use is not required. (In Georgia, seatbelts are only required in the front seats of cars, SUVs, van, etc).

Jarhead

PS: We always use our seatbelts. :)

Jarhead once bubbled...

If I want to "legally" drive without a seatbelt, I'll drive my truck.
Believe it or not, in Georgia, trucks are considered "farm vehicles" and seatbelt use is not required. (In Georgia, seatbelts are only required in the front seats of cars, SUVs, van, etc).

Jarhead

PS: We always use our seatbelts. :)

What about Alabama though? I think you should take the class.

I'll take your question at face value jarhead.

Mike alluded to the fact of poor training in solo classes and marketing intent on encouraging solo diving to unqualified divers. How about building a solid solo class comparable to the a good tech class and stop pretending it is for everyone.

With the seat belt analogy. Driving 50 mph with a seatbelt is safer than without. But driving 50 mph without a seatbelt may be just as risky as driving 150 mph with a seatbelt. 150 mph being analagous to some types of tech diving. Meant solely as a demonstrative example.

Do you think its safe to drive 150 mph with a seatbelt?

Scuba once bubbled...
I'll take your question at face value jarhead.

Mike alluded to the fact of poor training in solo classes and marketing intent on encouraging solo diving to unqualified divers. How about building a solid solo class comparable to the a good tech class and stop pretending it is for everyone.

With the seat belt analogy. Driving 50 mph with a seatbelt is safer than without. But driving 50 mph without a seatbelt may be just as risky as driving 150 mph with a seatbelt. 150 mph being analagous to some types of tech diving. Meant solely as a demonstrative example.

The first one went right over my "backwoods" head. This one cleared it up.

Mike doesn't have a problem with poorly taught solo diver classes. Mike has a problem with ANY solo diving classes. The agencies have taught for years" NEVER DIVE ALONE!". Now an agency comes out with a solo diver cert. It's a direct "slap-in-the-face" to everyone that's ever taught "NEVER DIVE ALONE!".

Jarhead

Scuba once bubbled...

Only on an empty racetrack. :)
I don't consider 55 with a seatbelt safe around here.

Jarhead

Is it better to pretend that solo diving can be made to go away or minimized to an insignificant minimum, or is it better to accept that some will engage in it and find a way to make it as safe as possible?

The same can be said of all the tech courses. I am sure at one time there was no cave, deep, wreck, training courses. But there were divers doing these dives and many more who were willing to try them. Today, thanks to these courses, those who want to try this type of diving can take a course and be much safer doing it. These activities have been made available to many more people and they are able to practice it in a much safer way than if this option was not available. Where would we be today if instead tech diving was stigmatised and shunted due to its greater inherent risk?

Not providing adequate training for an activity many want to do, will keep some from doing it. But many others will simply take a greater risk then is necessary.

Having a solo tech course is not contradictory to teaching the buddy system in all other cases. Its just another diving option.

another diving option if you accept that people have the right to determine for themselves what the risk:reward ratio should be for themselves.

There apparently are a large number of people around these parts that do not repsect such a decision made by others - only themselves.

Genesis once bubbled...
It's just another diving option if you accept that people have the right to determine for themselves what the risk:reward ratio should be for themselves.

True.

Genesis once bubbled...
There apparently are a large number of people around these parts that do not respect such a decision made by others - only themselves.

Not really. They just disagree an agency sanctioning it.

Jarhead

are the ones who preach about sanctioning and agency "oks" for the type of diving they do.

You can't have this both ways. Either you support the right of people to do potentially dangerous things, even if they might kill themselves in the effort, or you don't.

These kinds of indivudal rights are pretty much an either/or deal.

Back
Top Bottom