How Do You Do Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First post here (Thanks Mr Chairman), but some may remember me from the UK Divers forum of old.

I've not used a Pony for a while, but I always hung mine across my chest from low right to upper left (I'm left handed). I found that the weight of the pony there was good for trim and didn't interfere with any controls.

I suspect someone will highlight why that's a terrible idea, but it worked for me on many, many dives before I went to twins for deeper diving.

M
I too, sling my pony diagonally across my chest, Catalina 30cu. I found that slinging on one side, I could feel the weight difference underwater. I do not need to counter-balance, and if I did have to hand it off to a diver in distress, I would not be out of balance. I have had some people tell me that it is not the way to do things. I still prefer that way.
I have been slinging a pony my entire dive history, shy 4 OW course dives and 3 other where my pony regs needed work. 1st started with a 13cu on my 1st dive as an OW diver; switched to a 30 at 70 dives. At 1st I slung my pony on the left, but with the bigger pony, I noticed the weight so shifted top clip to right shoulder. Problems solved.

I too, sling my pony diagonally across my chest, Catalina 30cu. I found that slinging on one side, I could feel the weight difference underwater. I do not need to counter-balance, and if I did have to hand it off to a diver in distress, I would not be out of balance. I have had some people tell me that it is not the way to do things. I still prefer that way.
I have been slinging a pony my entire dive history, shy 4 OW course dives and 3 other where my pony regs needed work. 1st started with a 13cu on my 1st dive as an OW diver; switched to a 30 at 70 dives. At 1st I slung my pony on the left, but with the bigger pony, I noticed the weight so shifted top clip to right shoulder. Problems solved.

Move to an AL40. More gas and it has better buoyancy characteristics. I left sling mine and it vanishes.

Usually, I put a pony in my checked bag. Taking it carry on was a hassle.
Bingo

Move to an AL40. More gas and it has better buoyancy characteristics. I left sling mine and it vanishes.
I started with a 40, and traded it for a 19 in the hopes it would be lighter for shore dives. It wasn't much lighter, and was more annoying than the 40. Seemed to always want to be pet. The 40 stayed put.

13 or 19 in my checked luggage if flying, valve out. 19 or 30 or 40 otherwise, depending on the dive. Always clipped to left shoulder and left hip with short leashes so it doesn't flop around. Reg and 40 inch hose bungeed to tank, ready to grab. Valve is on. Can hand off to someone else if necessary.

Perhaps I'm a little late to chime in here, but I use a Faber high pressure 23cf steel pony. Single reg with a button pressure gauge on the 1st stage. Reg hose is bungeed to the tank for quick access. I sling it diagonally across the front of my BC for balance and easy access. I use it for solo and some deeper dives. It is also easy to hand off to a buddy if needed. It has a really good combination of small size (tank is <20" long) yet decent volume.

I to have started my collection of stage bottles. Started with a 30cf and that felt heavy. Then I tried a 13cf and tested it at 100ft and found that if I surfaced in a controlled manner I was OOA at my 15' safety stop. So I just upgraded to a 19cf and a Shark mount. I tested this yesterday and found it very comfortable and with it mounted on the left side with 4lbs counter weight on the tank. I never even notice it, and my trim was great. I know every one has the own preference and that's great if it works for you then I say great. All I say is if you do use one then please practice with it in a controlled environment like a pool or a shallow spring. Everyone dive safe!!!
I did my second pony bottle dive this weekend, using the Shark mount, which seems to be the preferred technique here (New Jersey). I noticed I was a bit off balance, so shifted weights on my weight belt. I saw a couple of mentions in this thread of a tank counterbalance. How do you attach to the tank? It seems a better and more repeatable solution than trying to place weights just right on my belt.

On an unrelated note, when my LDS requires a VIP if you bring an empty or valve out tank. When you travel with valve out, will the LDS just fill it, or do you pay for a VIP?

On an unrelated note, when my LDS requires a VIP if you bring an empty or valve out tank. When you travel with valve out, will the LDS just fill it, or do you pay for a VIP?
Shhhhhhhhhh!

Loosenit2 said above: "2. mount is to your primary tank, this is a viable option I have dove with but is often derided on this board." Why? I've done it many times and it worked great.

Attachments

• Pony Bottle Set-up.jpg
    Pony Bottle Set-up.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 41
I did my second pony bottle dive this weekend, using the Shark mount, which seems to be the preferred technique here (New Jersey). I noticed I was a bit off balance, so shifted weights on my weight belt. I saw a couple of mentions in this thread of a tank counterbalance. How do you attach to the tank? It seems a better and more repeatable solution than trying to place weights just right on my belt.

I have an XS Scuba weight pocket on my lower cam band opposite the pony and put a 2lb soft weight in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108_133228.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108_133228.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 41
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom