How do you determine if you should go to a bp/w or stay with a jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By design they foster this behavior infinitely better than a jacket BCD.

Infinitely better? No. Not even close. Marginally better is more like it. If you're looking at a BP/W over a jacket just because it might trim out a little better then you're going to be very disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, BP/W has its uses and in some circumstances they are a much better choice. Then again, there are circumstances where a jacket is a better choice. They're different, not necessarily better.

-Charles

Wow, thanks for all of the replies....this is why I love SB! Your replies helped me to analyze why/why not I would give up my jacket BCD. For some reason, I don't seem to have trim problems (looking at photos) using my jacket; however, I still want to take the buoyancy/trim class taught by either mselenaous or NetDoc to gain more skills. Maybe then I'll see I'm living in la-la land decide my trim sucks. But I agree with one of the posters who said equipment won't fix bad habits. My jacket is extremely comfortable; however, I wish it had one more strap across the chest (only has a large velco strap and another buckle strap on top of that at the waist) to tighten it up a bit. I probably could add one myself without too much trouble. Because I'm small, my jacket is, too, so it doesn't weigh too much and isn't a problem to pack. One person asked what water temps I dive. All of the diving I do is in warm water because I'm a sissy. No cold water for me (although diving in Jupiter last month we hit a thermocline where the temp was 65 degrees...ugh!).

From your replies I've decided to keep using my jacket and eventually borrow/rent a BP/W and give it a go. I think that's a great way to see if it's for me without spending a bunch of money. Maybe if we move out of the desert to a place where we can dive, dive, dive (thinking FL) it'll make more sense to buy a new type of BCD. At the rate we're going and only getting 20-40 dives a year, my current BCD will outlive me!

Thanks, SB friends, for helping me save money!

The more I read on SB, the more I wonder if I should migrate to a bp/w. I've got over 100 dives now and have a SeaQuest Diva BCD that I've had since I got certified. I use 8 lbs of weight when wearing my 3mm wet suit in tropical waters. Buoyancy is good; AOW and Nitrox certified; deepest dive is close to 130 ft. I really like my BCD....it's comfortable, has integrated weight pockets (which I like), has enough places to attach stuff, etc. I have no desire to be a tec or cave diver. Is it my imagination that as recreational divers become more experienced they move to a bp/w? If so, why?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. For some types of diving, which you're apparently not doing, a BP harness system would be almost mandatory, for the rest of us it's just a matter of personal preference. So, if you have the opportunity to test one out, then I think you are in a better position to make an informed opinion. Otherwise, I would probably just stick with what you already have and put those funds towards another trip.

My husband bought a bp/w that I can try out at some point in time. It's a one size fits all sort of thing. I don't think I'd mind the crotch strap, in fact, even though I love my jacket BCD, it sometimes rides up a little.

FYI since we've met and I know you aren't much taller than I am...Yes back plates for the most part fit everyone. However some companies like Dive Rite and Deep Sea Supply make a taller as well as a shorter backplate. I have a standard length backplate and a short backplate for divers <5'3". Being only 5'1" I am much more comfortable in the short plate. Also, I prefer having a chest strap on my harness. My shoulders aren't very wide and I find that the simple harness tends to either slide off my shoulders or just pulls them back too far. For diving single tanks, they have 2 cam straps which I find more secure than BCs with only one.

I am a bp/w user since ceritified, but I am on the camp that if you are happy with what you have, and it is not limiting your in anyway, stay with it until it breaks, or it limits you on what you want to do. Spending money on dive gear is a lot of fun, but spending money on diving is even better.

Also, I have known someone who didn't like bp/w. He started with zeagle ranger, switched to Halcyon infiniti, switched back to ranger, sold the infiniti. So bp/w is not the end of bcd choice. Also, to say bp/w give you better trim and buoyance is an exageration. I bet any good diver can have good trim and buoyance regardless of gear. In some situtaion, bp/w just make it eaiser.

No reason to change of your gear meets your needs. That being said, you did say you are looking into a PPB class with Pete. I'd bet he would have one for you to try out in the class. The plus to that is he would know how it should be set up for you too.... That is a great opportunity to try out gear.

The more I read on SB, the more I wonder if I should migrate to a bp/w. I've got over 100 dives now and have a SeaQuest Diva BCD that I've had since I got certified. I use 8 lbs of weight when wearing my 3mm wet suit in tropical waters. Buoyancy is good; AOW and Nitrox certified; deepest dive is close to 130 ft. I really like my BCD....it's comfortable, has integrated weight pockets (which I like), has enough places to attach stuff, etc. I have no desire to be a tec or cave diver. Is it my imagination that as recreational divers become more experienced they move to a bp/w? If so, why?

It sounds like you already like your BC and should know it very well with 100 dives on it.
If it works, and it doesn't need replacing, then why replace it? You can do all the same stuff in a jacket as you can in a BP/Wing. It's really just a matter of personal preference at that point. If you're a good diver already, you SHOULD be able to dive in ANY bc/rig without any major changes to your diving. Changing to a new one isn't going to make you any better/worse.

Remember... it only does 2 jobs: 1 - provides lift, 2 - holds your tank on your back. Nothing more.

I personally don't like a jacket BC, but that's just my personal preference.

I can dive in any style BC without any differences to my diving style or trim. A good diver is a good diver.

IMO: save your money, or spend it on other gear needs/upgrades.

FYI since we've met and I know you aren't much taller than I am...Yes back plates for the most part fit everyone. However some companies like Dive Rite and Deep Sea Supply make a taller as well as a shorter backplate. I have a standard length backplate and a short backplate for divers <5'3". Being only 5'1" I am much more comfortable in the short plate. Also, I prefer having a chest strap on my harness. My shoulders aren't very wide and I find that the simple harness tends to either slide off my shoulders or just pulls them back too far. For diving single tanks, they have 2 cam straps which I find more secure than BCs with only one.

You have me beat by 1/2 inch, Elena! It's nice to know that a short backplate is available for shrimps like us. I run into a problem with tank length. Sometime I need to try a shorter tank. My head is either hitting the valve or my fins are kicking the bottom of the tank. It's difficult being vertically challenged!

Last edited:
You have me beat by 1/2 inch, Elena! It's nice to know that a short backplate is available for shrimps like us. I run into a problem with tank length. Sometime I need to try a shorter tank. My head is either hitting the valve or my fins are kicking the bottom of the tank. It's difficult being vertically challenged!

......the other end of the spectrum is no fun either (and the reason I dive a BP/W - it fits the way it should)

Then again, there are circumstances where a jacket is a better choice.

While a jacket can be perfectly workable, I'd love to hear what under what circumstances it would be a better choice than a BP&W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom