How do you determine if you should go to a bp/w or stay with a jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more I read on SB, the more I wonder if I should migrate to a bp/w. I've got over 100 dives now and have a SeaQuest Diva BCD that I've had since I got certified. I use 8 lbs of weight when wearing my 3mm wet suit in tropical waters. Buoyancy is good; AOW and Nitrox certified; deepest dive is close to 130 ft. I really like my BCD....it's comfortable, has integrated weight pockets (which I like), has enough places to attach stuff, etc. I have no desire to be a tec or cave diver. Is it my imagination that as recreational divers become more experienced they move to a bp/w? If so, why?

If you are comfortable in your gear and can efficiently and safely complete the dives that you wish to dive, then there is no real reason to change your gear. If you are considering a BP/W system, I recommend trying it out before purchasing one. Some of them can be quite streamline and light weight and simple especially for air travel. But the bottom line is, dive what you feel good in until is it too worn out to dive it safely or until you choose to do more advanced dives that require specialized gear.

Something that I have seen happen, is that divers who didn't develop good techniques early, continue to have the same poor techniques (now the bad habits are ingrained) many dives later and decide that changing gear is the solution to a technique problem. You will meet divers with excellent skills that are comfortable diving in any type of gear.

As long as your BCD is comfortable and works safely, just go diving.

I'm with Eric on this, dive your BC until you wear it out. Contrary to marketing jabber, diving skills are not dependant on the gear you use.

Should you have money burning a hole in your pocket, or decide to go tech, have a ball.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I would say if you are confy woth what you have then good. Perhaps you may want to try a bp/w. If it yeilds no additional benifit stay with what you have. if on the other hand you find the change rewaeding then switch. This is one of those things that get filed under , you dont know what you dont know. Try a bp/w adn you will know very quickly if a change is needed.

Do you have any objections to using/wearing a crotch strap ? Some people do.

IMHO, the crotch strap is one of the key components to the BP/W and if you won't use one, then BP/W might not be worth it.

I am not a tec diver. I dive warm water, recreational. I like the versatility and minimalism of the BP/W. If you don't mind the crotch strap, see if you can find someone to let you try out their BP/W. Warm water diving in a minimalist BP with small wing feels very freeing.

...By design they foster this behavior infinitely better than a jacket BCD.

Infinite is a big number, how did you calculate this?

If a jacket isn't allowing proper trim it is because the diver is over weighted and has too much air in the cell, something a BP/W is more forgiving of. I would say a BP/W allows one to get a way with poorer diving skills.

Bob said it best: "...diving skills are not dependent on the gear you use."

Jackets are easy and fast to put on and take off. I've met many instructors on dive trips who own BP/Ws but choose to dive with a jacket on teaching or multiple dive leisure trips for this reason.

If you don't need to be in perfect trim (or can maintain trim in a jacket) and would like the convenience of jackets, then keep the jacket.

If you like your gear, and it permits you to dive well in it, there is no reason at all to change it.

A lot of cold water divers would really like to reduce the total weight of what they haul into the water. Steel backplates do that.

Some divers really need to figure out how to move weight up onto their shoulders to fix their trim. Steel backplates do that.

Some divers don't like the "body squeeze" of jackets. Simple harnesses fix that.

Some folks would like to be able to replace pieces of their equipment, rather than having to replace the whole thing for a malfunction. Modular plate and wing systems allow that.

Some folks travel a lot, and like something that packs in a really minimalist fashion. Modular systems do that, because they can be taken apart and packed separately.

Some divers like canister lights. Simple harnesses make it easy to mount them.

Some people dive in warm water and in cold water, and need different amounts of lift for different environments. A single plate with two different wings can offer that.

If you aren't unhappy with the gear you own, and it works in the environment where you dive, keep it! If any of the reasons above apply (or any of the reasons listed in the almost infinite number of wing versus the world threads), then consider replacing your gear. I replaced mine because it didn't fit right and didn't keep the tank stable on my back. I have never regretted the change, but I wasn't thrilled with what I had before.

Lots to consider before deciding & need more info, do you only do tropical dives?
For myself & San Diego cold water diving in a 7mil, the stainless steel 6lb plate & less cloth material means less lead needed to get neutral.
If your going to add weight pockets in the front waist harness I feel its not that much more streamline & stick with what you have.
I personally love the non clutter streamline simplicity of my plate, why have all sorts of storage pockets when its just a real pain to access them.
For myself I dont feel the need to fill my bc pockets with crap so no need for them...
On the other hand folks I dive with including myself have added weight pockets to our tank straps & for the most part is non ditchable which raises another debate....

I had a Mares jacket. As I like to film, horizontal trim is important, a bp /wing is somewhat easier in that respect. Then I lost the integrated weights a few times, the last time was on a wreck (outside) because a surge grabbed me and bumped me in to the railing of the ship dislodging the weights. I could retrieve it, but it didn't appael to me. Also I like wrecks and bp/w allow for less room on tight passages. And I can carry significant less weight with the bp/w. as up to 3-4 kg less.
So I won't go back. That said, if there are no issues with your bcd and you're happy with it just wear it out.

I have a jacket and also a wing. I only use my wing when I am doing tech dives or needing to use twin tanks. For all other dives I use my BCD. So easy to set up and slip on and off. Less gear to pack and simple. I like the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

If you are not going to become a tech diver ever (remember ever is a long time), and never require using twin tanks or slinging multiple cylinders then stick to a BCD. If you wish to look like a gaggle of tanks, then consider the required lift for the application and you would probably require a wing.

If you do need a wing I would still keep your BCD for those rec fun dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom