HOw do you combat or at least prevent Dry Mouth ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to the obvious actions, like staying well hydrated & rinsing your mouth with fresh water immediately before a dive:

1. Purchase a reg with "moisturizing fins" in the second stage, such as the Oasis & Blizzard made by Sherwood.

2. Purchase the Apollo reg which has a "moisturizing chamber" into which you place a small, damp sponge. Or get one of Apolo's new in-line mositurizers.

3. Purchase a "Scuda," or a "Camel-back," nifty little diver's canteens which allow you a squirt of fresh water when you want it.

4. Pop a "Jolly Rancher," "Tic-Tac," piece of gum or the like into your mouth before you enter, but tuck it between your gum & cheek to prevent choking on it.

5. Tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue, or run it along your teeth, as this will trigger salivation.

6. Rub a very small bit of toothpaste in your mouthpiece prior to entry.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

If I get a little salt water in my mouth at the surface, I can be assured that I will get dry mouth before the dive is half over. I purchased a Scuda unit but found it to be too bulky. You have to route an extra hose along side your regulator hose, change the mouth piece, and find a place to stuff the canteen pouch.
I found that using a regulator that has moisture fins like the Sherwood Maximus helps a little. (repeat.. a little)
This may sound really dumb, but i took a banana with me on one of my longer dives while on my last vacation. I was amazed at how EZ it was to eat a banana under water. Good bye dry mouth and the peel became instant bait. It also got rid of that salt water slimy taste.

U gotta be kidding me :confused:

how the freak can u eat a banana underwater along with breathing from the REG ??

Man, is there anybody else eating their Chinese food down there too ??? :eek:

is this a special PADI Skill course ??? If so where do i sign up ?

It's not like you have to chew too long on a banana. I did not say I ate the whole thing without breathing. There was 3 banana/regulator transfers if I remember correctly...it could have been two. The breath holding is only for a couple of seconds and it bearly broke my rhythm.
You were warned...I told you it sounded dumb.

I had a similar problem during my OW cert. dives. I wound up letting a little salt water in my mouth to keep it moist, but this was a less than good solution. I ended up buying a Sherwood Oasis reg, mainly to combat this problem. Since then, I have not been bothered by the dry mouth endemic to tank air breathing. Maybe I am doing something different in my behavior (hydrating more, drooling underwater...), but I really think the reg helps out a good deal. If it is a big problem for you, I would suggest finding one of the regs with fins and trying it for a dive. You may be pleasantly suprised. I was.

Does Scubapro, zeagle or Apexs have this "moisture" feature on their reg ?? if so which model ?

thanks

I've used the "Jolly Rancher" method and it works well. I've recently purchased a MSR Dromedary pack (Camelbak) that I've installed a pair of bolt-snaps to, that will be worn like a stage bottle between the shoulder and hip d-ring. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well it will work.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
Does Scubapro, zeagle or Apexs have this "moisture" feature on their reg ?? if so which model ?

thanks

Apeks ATX200 has it.

I don't know about the other brands.

FWIW, so does a Beauchat VX10 Evolution and Evolution Iceberg.

...are the AA candidates that get hammered the night before a dive. This happens occasionally off the coast, but all the time in vacation hotspots (Coz, Bahamas, etc.).

I usually don't drink at all or just limit myself to a beer or two the night before a dive. Nothing will cause you problems faster than a hangover on a dive boat..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom