HOw do you combat or at least prevent Dry Mouth ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
The dryness sometimes just plain irritating. i find that by swallowing my saliva it helps a little bit. However a little bit of sip of that quarry water isnt pleasant either.

Anyone got any good tips ??

being the constant gum chewer that I am, I find that if I chew gum before and after a dive I dont have a problem with 'dry mouth'
- A J :wink:

Keep up the liquids while you are on the surface. I have much less of a problem when I am drinking my fluids like I should. The air in your tanks is very dry. It's hard to keep th edry mouth away.

I agree with the other guys. Drinking lots before you dive is always good. You could always buy one of those underwater water bottles or carry a fruit juice box in your pocket. :bonk:

A dry mouth indicates you're under-hydrated. I find that when I've been diligent about my water consumption, and I mean plain old H2O not sports drinks or colas, then I don't get dry mouth. At least not anything a little spit won't fix.

In addition to keeping yourself well hydrated, you may find that you can actually get some moisture from your second stage reg.

The regs I'm familiar with have vanes that catch moisture as you breathe. A sharp inhalation will dislodge it and deposit it in your mouth.

This works for me.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
The dryness sometimes just plain irritating. i find that by swallowing my saliva it helps a little bit. However a little bit of sip of that quarry water isnt pleasant either.

Anyone got any good tips ??
Boy, cotton mouth can be a killer...I generally find that if I put a few ice cubes in the bong it keeps the water cooler and I get less of that parched feeling....but that's just me.. Really I just drink a bunch of water in the morning and on the way out...Gatorade too if I have it, but always a ton of water.

It's sounds strange but I find that water doesn't help hydrate me when I'm diving or even when I'm sick with a cold. I still get dry mouth. Maybe because it doesn't have electrolytes?

Also, I find water tough to keep drinking.

So, I brew green tea, add a little honey, put it in a cooler and add a bunch of ice cubes. I keep sipping as I drive to the dive site, as I get my gear ready, and between dives. It's pretty healthy and it keeps me from getting dehydrated. It has a nice but subtle flavor so it's easy to keep drinking.

I hope this helps you out.

Back
Top Bottom