How do you clean regs after a (saltwater) dive?

How do you (normally) clean regs after a (saltwater) dive? (Public Poll)

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I submerge the whole reg set except the 1st stage in a tub with tap water for more than 10 hours. The 1st stage I rinse with a hose.

I am floored by how folks rinse so much stuff that is designed for salt water. The only thing I am careful of is my zippers, and with lots of zipper lube, they are fine. QD's on inflaters can be a bit of a pain, but a little Corrosion Block goes a long way there. If I do a long deco and pee in my wetsuit, I'll rinse it, but that's in self defense, not for any equipment longevity issues. Scooters get the tailcone dunked and the trigger pulled to make sure there are no salt crystals in the seal for next time.

Soak overnight.

If I'm on a dive trip and the gear stays wet from continual diving, I just rinse it off at the end of the day. When I get home from a trip, everything gets dunked first then soaks overnight in plastic trash bins. The next day it's hung out to dry-the regulators are purged until dry with leftover air from my tanks.

I dive in salt water.

After every dive, I fill up the bath tub and soak my regs (pressurized) for about an hour, sometimes less.
After the regs are finished, I dump everything else in the tubs so it all gets a fresh water rinse.

I've never noticed any corrosion problems that Lynne has, but the water here is pretty soft. After reading her thread, I'm thinking I might start doing nothing to my regs at all.

-Mitch

Rinse everything as well as I can after the dive and then more thoroughly at home...Especially if it's a 'rinse' tank which just accumulates salt from all the other diver's rinsing......

I sometimes spray mine with a hose. Mostly to get the sand off if I have been beach diving. Maybe once or twice a year I will drop the entire kit in the tub.Many times I don't really clean it at all...

Mine get a good rinse while they are still on the tank, and the layed out to dry. I never really did much salt water until this past 9 months where I did 160+ salt water dives. Once I get back home I am going to Service the regs and see if I did ok! Lol. I am sure they are fine.

I am floored by how folks rinse so much stuff that is designed for salt water. The only thing I am careful of is my zippers, and with lots of zipper lube, they are fine. QD's on inflaters can be a bit of a pain, but a little Corrosion Block goes a long way there. If I do a long deco and pee in my wetsuit, I'll rinse it, but that's in self defense, not for any equipment longevity issues. Scooters get the tailcone dunked and the trigger pulled to make sure there are no salt crystals in the seal for next time.

Every gear user manual, both printed and on-line, recommends a throughout rinse with fresh water, in spite that it´s intended to be used in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom