How do you carry your housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just checked with delta they said no to regs it is on their web page in the scuba area uder sports. Photo equipment is ok but no regs talked to a supervisor in charge through the delta web site and the local airport and was told the same by both. do you just not tell them (the airline) as i want to carry my regs on the plane. I have no problem telling tsa but the airlines said no. Will tsa let me through?

I fly Delta all the time, and no one has ever bvatted an eyelash. I always tell them exactly what is in my carry-on if I am carrying SCUBA equipment as it speeds things along.

Yep...it's me, Davida! How's Armando? You still keeping him in line?!? :D Give him a big hug for me. Have you guys gone digital yet? LOL!

Don't know when we'll make it back to Coz. With my father-in-law in a home and with his health problems, we're sort of chained here. We're still doing our annual Roatan trip but it takes alot of planning..no more quickie Coz trips! At least not for awhile.

scubaaaronh:
Just checked with delta they said no to regs it is on their web page in the scuba area uder sports. Photo equipment is ok but no regs talked to a supervisor in charge through the delta web site and the local airport and was told the same by both. do you just not tell them (the airline) as i want to carry my regs on the plane. I have no problem telling tsa but the airlines said no. Will tsa let me through?

Could you post a link to the webpage showing the prohibition on regs? I looked and I can find SCUBA tanks, but not regs. Bear in mind that the person you spoke with may have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

I can't find anything on Delta's website that says you can't carry on regs. Is this really true? The only thing I found was this blurb about being able to check equipment in as long as it's not a tank. But there is no mention of carry on restrictions.

From Delta's Website:

Scuba diving equipment will be accepted as checked baggage and will always be subject to an excess baggage charge.

One dive bag containing scuba equipment, other than an empty dive tank, may be accepted as part of the free baggage allowance. An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance and will always be subject to an $80 fee. Scuba equipment accepted in excess of the free baggage allowance will be assessed the appropriate fee based on destination.

dimitrik:
I can't find anything on Delta's website that says you can't carry on regs. Is this really true? The only thing I found was this blurb about being able to check equipment in as long as it's not a tank. But there is no mention of carry on restrictions.

From Delta's Website:

Scuba diving equipment will be accepted as checked baggage and will always be subject to an excess baggage charge.

One dive bag containing scuba equipment, other than an empty dive tank, may be accepted as part of the free baggage allowance. An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance and will always be subject to an $80 fee. Scuba equipment accepted in excess of the free baggage allowance will be assessed the appropriate fee based on destination.

exaclty what it says ONE CHECKED BAG CONTAINING ... that is what they are going on it has to be in a checked bag thay are telling me. The blurb on the website doesn't list the equipment but she read the exact same thing then after she read the sub paragraphs that said one set fins one mask one dive guages one regulators set ....

When i get there i am checking my bags and not telling the delta people what is in the carry ons, going to the tsa line telling them what i have in my carry ons because i called them and they really didn't care what i had as long as it isnt a gun blade ect. telling them what i have and boarding the plane. if i get caught then oh well. i gues i'll see what happens then. I dont see what the dig problem is with regulators and a gauge set

Photocoz:
At least 3 times a week someone walks through our door needing a rental of equipment because their checked baggage didn't make it. Also, any camera gear in checked baggage that is lost or damaged is NOT covered by the airlines - so............CARRY IT ON IN A GROCERY SAC IF YOU HAVE TO - BUT JUST CARRY IT ON!!!!!

Acutally, I do. And I just did on my trip to Cozumel last week. My PT-15 with camera, tray (top and bottom with lens caddy) and one strobe fits in a grocery sac nicely. Just carry it on and place it securely in the overhead bin on top of my fleece. Works great, but I do remember to double bag it. :)

Hi Dee! Armando...in line!! You are funny!!!! He is very well, and yes we have gone digital (will never entirely give up film!!!) but we do almost all of our assignment work and pleasure stuff with the D100 IN & OUT of the water. We rent u/w digital and that of course has been huge & are in the middle of a remodel here in the store to include a self serve digital kiosk station for people to download, bur CD's & make prints (have the new incredible epson photo printer - loving it!!) Currently we do all of these service FOR customers, and will continue to do so, but adding the self service kiosk will make it so easy for people not to have to travel with their laptop, and be able to share prints right away with their divemasters and new friends.
Everything else here is good. Sorry about your dad, I know how tough that is! Congratulations on DEE RAGS! How Cool!!! I see people in them all the time!!
Hope your dayis well and I wlook forward to chatting with you!
HUGS!
Holly

Dee:
I go back and forth with this every trip! I've used both Pelican cases and backpacks and each has their pros and cons.

If I check my camera gear it goes into a Pelican case. That's my least favorite option because 1) the case itself draws attention and 2) if it does go missing, everything is gone. So I prefer to carry it on, at least the basic rig and my laptop. I have a couple of backpacks, my favorite is the Lowepro Mini Trekker because it's compact yet holds alot. I also have one that will hold my laptop but it's bulkier, heavier and less comfortable so I carry my laptop seperately. Luckily the Oly PT cases are small so I can get all my camers gear in one backpack. Another good point to a backpack is when I wear it up to the check in counter, I've never been asked to weigh it! YMMV

There's a new Pelican case, model 1510, that has wheels and is carry on size, 20x14x9.Cases4Less.com has the best price I've found. The only problem with carrying on a hard case, even if it fits the required size, is it's hard to fit in the overhead compartments.

Whatever you decide...have a great trip...and bring back some photos to share!
Hey DEE.

George here. I concur totally ! Been a while Dee. I am sorry we were not able to book with you and you Swamp Divers but the due date on the trip was too soon for me to have all the $$ in to you. we were, however, able to book directly with CCV and we are booked for the 1st week in May. I hope we didn't cause any inconvinience to you. Anyway we are pumped. After tha we are going to Panama, the Pacific side. Bye Bye for now.

Good Divin,
George

I've read the thread on how to transport the camera and strobes on the airplane, but what do you do to carry this gear onto the dive boat? Do you keep it in a case until ready to use?
I'm waiting on my new Inon strobe to arrive and don't have any kind of travel case for it yet. I'm pretty comfortable that I can fit my camera/housing/strobe into my carry-on bag, so I'm looking for advice as to what to do when getting on the boat.

Thanks.

Oly C-5050, PT-015, Inon D-2000, ULCS tray/arms

Back
Top Bottom