How do you carry your dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am wondering how folks carry their dive flag? A reel, a spool, the typical dive shop hand wound line holder?
I use a spool.

Last edited:
Yes; sorry for the typo. Thanks for your reply.

I use a spool on one flag (shallow) and a crappy reel for when I go deeper.

I finally found a cool way to carry my flags in my van on the inside of the back doors so they don't always get in the way. Yay!

In the water? I tow the flag with line on a spool.

I am presently using a Pocket Buoy for my dives, which packs down small. One of the things I need to do this winter is put together a surface support float/buoy/mini-vessel for deep and long shore dives. I've seen one instructor who put something together with a milk crate and an inner tube.

I have a long hollow core rope I use, it floats so it doesn't tangle up as much on stuff and I tow a custom made float/ flag that has a 24"X 20" dive flag.

Surprised there are not more replies. I'm debating to get one of these expensive Dive Rite reels (~150). For deep dives (>60 feet) I carry the traditional plastic hand wound line holder. I hook that into my arm so as to free my hand. With the spool, I worry about it coming undone and becoming a hazard. Perhaps a reel that's ratcheted to keep the line tight is the way to go. That was the motive for posing the question.

I do a lot of drift diving in SE FL. I've used a Manta Jr reel for several years now. I used to use a line holder. Locally, people using reels has become much more common over the last couple years. Even when using one of the boat's flag, divers often bring their own reels. Personally, I find the reel much more convenient.

finger spool and line attached to dive flag/float for beach and boat dives....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom