How do you carry tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

........... Ok when you are out of the water stop for a minute and look at how far you have to walk to your car...look around the beach a bit....guys love to help ladies who look a little in need of help. If this faisl pull the top of your wet suit down and show off the cute top of your bikini and someone will come and help.

I agree, guys usually don't mind giving a Little help, but I added up all the gear weight and it's a few pounds shy of 200# counting the wet wetsuit and bc and all. It's more than I weigh, for sure. I think they see that as a LOT of help, no wonder they scare off so easy. The hardest part is coming out of the water as the sand gets washed from under foot, it 's tough to maintain balance. The rest of the beach sand isn't as bad. I'm afraid if I flash 'em some cleavage, their girlfriends will gang up and drown me, lol.

I agree with the heels to cary a tank, any time you can carry it without having to bend the elbow and stress the bicep, it will be easier. By the way, K-Mart has a nice folding 2 wheel collapsible dolly, really makes hauling tanks to the boat easy.

Darlene

am I confused?

RichLockyer once bubbled...
I just carry them (HP120s) by the valve, with the valve turned so that the tank's weight against my fingers is trying to roll the valve "on".

I want the weight of the tank trying to roll the valve "off"...i.e. if in the right hand....valve handle outboard and palm forward.... that way there's no chance of "rolling on" and scarin' the bajeevers out of some poor soul.... let alone losing some gas.

I'm sure that's what you meant, Rick.

tony

I have a Faber LP95 which has a really sensitive valve - just touching it means air is flowing out of the thing.

I don't want that resting against my palm - I don't want compressed air shooting against my hand. So I carry it valve back in my left hand - so it rolls "off."

I don't want to put any stress on the threads, though - so does anyone know how you can 'detune' a valve?

Maybe I'll start another thread...

The best way to carry tanks may be just set them up or leave them in the BCD or harness and just walk them to wherever you are going. Saw cave divers doing this in Mexico and it is easy on the arms and elbows.

I thought I had mild DCS in the elbow but during the blackout I went diving instead, lifting tanks and weights all over the place. Turned out it was too much computer mouse. Let's have another blackout soon!

=-)

scubatexastony once bubbled...
I want the weight of the tank trying to roll the valve "off"...i.e. if in the right hand....valve handle outboard and palm forward.... that way there's no chance of "rolling on" and scarin' the bajeevers out of some poor soul.... let alone losing some gas.
Oops... ya... I typed "on" because when I grab one I'm thinking "there's no way in heck I want these things to turn on"
:)

Back
Top Bottom