How do you carry tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TechnoMage

Registered
Reaction score
I was planning on getting the scuba pro handle that attaches on the neck of the tank but I've been informed that they aren't made anymore.

Does everyone just carry their tanks by the valve or do you use something else?

The thing I liked about the scuba pro handle is that they were permently attached so you didn't have to worry about stashing your carrier somewhere.

Thanks,
-Ron

Neat idea, but the handle can easily snag fishing line or kelp. I wouldn't go near one.
I just carry them (HP120s) by the valve, with the valve turned so that the tank's weight against my fingers is trying to roll the valve "on".

Either that, or I'll flip it up on my shoulder, hold the valve in my right hand and steady the bottom with my left.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
Either that, or I'll flip it up on my shoulder, hold the valve in my right hand and steady the bottom with my left.
And judging by your picture, your carry the 120s on your left shoulder, correct? :)

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
And judging by your picture, your carry the 120s on your left shoulder, correct? :)
Nope... On the right, so I have to tilt my head to the left to clear them.

Galvanized steel hurts when it pinches you ear :)

How do you get guys to carry your tank for ya! I come out of the water onto the beach in doubles and stages, and all I get is a beach full of guys gawking and a brave one asking "how much does all that weigh?" Have yet to have one offer a hand back to the tailgate. Good thing I'm in shape for an old lady, lol.

But to the original question, I've seen tank bags advertised that have a handle in the center so shorter people can carry a tank horizontally without having it drag on the ground like if they grab the valve.

Safe diving and toting,

Darlene

I've found it's easier for women diving singles to get a man to carry her tanks than one in doubles. LOL Most of my diver friends feel - I'm not gonna hurt my back on those.

My tanks get carried for me quite often. My club usually does a gear chain onto and off a charter boat. I do my share of carrying heavy items - gear bags, weight belts and the like. & since I do that the guys get the tanks. The tanks are just harder 'cause I don't have the height. I have noticed that my hands are much stronger than most of my non-diving female friends. I attribute it to carrying the tanks by the valve.

As for carrying tanks to and fro dive stores I find it easiest to carry them while wearing high heels. It sounds odd but the little bit of extra height gives me just enough height that I don't have to lift the tanks all that much.

Paula

Scuba_Vixen once bubbled...
How do you get guys to carry your tank for ya!

Check her profile picture. She's cute. She probably has guys falling over each other to help her with the tanks :wink:

James

Thanks James. I actually was on a boat once and a couple guys kinda got into it when it came to carrying my tank for me.

Scuba_Vixen: Ok here is the secret to get guys at the beach to carry your tank for you. Ok when you are out of the water stop for a minute and look at how far you have to walk to your car...look around the beach a bit....guys love to help ladies who look a little in need of help. If this faisl pull the top of your wet suit down and show off the cute top of your bikini and someone will come and help. The whole wet look attracts guys. LOL i am just kidding guys i have never done the above....ok ok maybe the distressed look. lol Actually i have been fortunate enough to dive with people who are gentleman enough to carry my tanks for me. They are aware of how much it means to me for them to carry the tank. So i will grab the gear bags or something else like the first round of drinks.

etype: you can come to cali and help me with my tanks:wink:

diver_paula: I will have to try the high heel thing if I need to carry my tank. Maybe i will stick a pair in my ba so when i am walking to the boat I can be in high heels and a wetsuit. lol I betcha i would get some wierd looks for that one.

Ana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom