How do you attach your dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAirHarper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So basically the title says it all. I was just curious what the opinions were on the best way to securely mount your primary hand held light (or your secondary too if you don't keep it in a BC pocket). I'm fixing to get my first set of lights, a pistol grip LED and a smaller LED. I didn't know if those retracting gizmos were worth the money or those coiled lanyards. Just curious in what you use.

I use a stainless steel split ring with a stainless snap bolt just clip it to your D ring. The snap ring will not tear up with you like a retractor might.

For my Primary HID cave light & my back- up lights, I use a Stainless steel clip with several loops of cave line looped through both light & snap bolt, pulled tight & in which the knot has been melted to hold. It will hold the light secure on a D-ring, but is not "hard wire attached" to anything & could be cut away if it should become entangled.The secret is to know how you want to mount your light & then learn exactly where it is on your BC to make finding it worry free.

My primary light is on a retractor and I keep it in my BCD pocket when I'm not using it, unless I'm just going to let go of it for a short time during the dive, in which case it hangs close to my body and is easy to grab with a quick sweep. A heavier dive light may need a locking retractor to keep it in place.

Secondary light is attached to my BCD inflator hose.

I use a stainless steel split ring with a stainless snap bolt just clip it to your D ring. The snap ring will not tear up with you like a retractor might.

I do the same - it works perfect with a bp/w

So basically the title says it all. I was just curious what the opinions were on the best way to securely mount your primary hand held light (or your secondary too if you don't keep it in a BC pocket). I'm fixing to get my first set of lights, a pistol grip LED and a smaller LED. I didn't know if those retracting gizmos were worth the money or those coiled lanyards. Just curious in what you use.

If you're going to have a bigger light for your primary and it has the option of a lantern grip you might look at that. It's a little more natural to hold underwater I think. Then just use a boltsnap on a standard short lanyard and attach it to your chest D-ring. You probably don't need a coiled lanyard.

Led's are now available in a small enough light (even for your primary) that you don't have to get a pistol or a lantern grip. If you keep the size small you can mount it hands free on the back of your hand. In that case you just clip it to your chest D-ring when you're not using it.

There are many different ways. If I was just starting out today I wouldn't get a big pistol grip type of primary since you can get lights just as powerful that are much smaller with no need for those kinds of grips.

Same as Others. My Primary canister light goes on Right hip with the Light Head attched to Right Shoulder D-Ring via bolt snaps. I have my 2 back-ups clipped off on to each shoulder D-ring and then Rubber Banded to hold in place against webbing

Back-ups clipped to chest
eclipse30MC-lift_0023.jpg

Canister on right side
true_acb-kelp.jpg

as others have stated, I too use cave line and a bolt snap to attach backups to shoulder D rings, one is permanantly atached to my fight shoulder D ding and never gets used other than to check before diving. Primary is a handheld DR LED so I have a lanyard and bolt snap attached with caveline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom