How Do Use Your Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JohnN - no, when swimming west while looking at the watch, 12:00 is pointed in the direction of travel, and the rotating N arrow points at the 3:00 position.

Analog compass in a bungee mount. Goes on the back of my hand. I sight it like I would a rifle. But I don’t use a compass much. My diving doesn’t really call for it.
Old post I know.
I have been using a compass in a bungee mount on my left arm for a number of years now, still wear it even though I have a compass with the Perdix AI, old habits die hard and 'go to the basic' compass.
For almost forever I used a twin console [ SPG and compass ] before placing one on my wrist, as I also dive with a SPG [and a Perdix AI] and still I look at the SPG [as backup] and SK8 Suunto compass for navigation, I am thinking of going back to a twin console.
Could be just me [and old age] I am sure my Navigation was better , and I can read the bloody thing, the Perdix compass is good but, I just [can't help myself] and look at a "real" compass.
I can't be alone being 'old school' , and reducing a hose and other bits is the way things are going.
Diving has gone the way of 'you can't dive unless you have something with a battery in it'.

Excuse me for ranting on.
Bob

... I am thinking of going back to a twin console. ...
If you're looking for another reason to remove your compass from your wrist, I remember reading (from Gary Gentile, I think) a while ago about an incident where a diver's arm was "keyholed" by the gauges on his wrist, when he was digging in zero viz for artifacts, deep in some shipwreck. His takeaway: He decided he would NOT wear gauges on his wrist thereafter.

You're Welcome.

rx7diver

diver's arm was "keyholed" by the gauges on his wrist
Does not sound good, do you know if he lost the gauge on his wrist?
A luck man.
I know the compass gets caught in the harness if I don't take it off first diving the one piece harness BP/W.
Good to know.

Does not sound good, do you know if he lost the gauge on his wrist?
A luck man.
I know the compass gets caught in the harness if I don't take it off first diving the one piece harness BP/W.
Good to know.
IIRC, it was only momentary, and he left with everything, but it made an impression on him. I'll look to see if I can find the story. I think if was in one of his wreck diving books.

Sorry, @Pressurehead, evidently part of my scuba library is still in boxes in the garage, a result of four (!!) household moves over the last nearly 25 years, one of them from MI to MO! I do have Gentile's "Ultimate Wreck Diving Guide" (1992) on my shelf. I just finished scanning through it, but was unable to find the story.

I did find his story where he describes the rare, but very serious, medical condition he suffered as a result of wearing his wrist-mounted gauges too tight.

Anyway, I am almost certain that the "keyholded" story was relayed by GG. But, it's been a very long time since I read it, and it might have been in one of his other books, or in one of the scuba magazines that he contributed articles to, or in other books (like Bret Gilliam's "Deep Diving: An Advanced Guide to Physiology, Procedures, and Systems", editions in 1992 and 1995, which I just scanned through, too, to no avail), or on the old "Aguanaut" internet forum, etc.

Maybe some other SB member can help.

rx7diver

com-apeks-spg-compass.jpg

This is the combo I will be using, bolt snap on the top to clip off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom