How Do Use Your Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ordered a Teric and I know it has a digital compass. A lot of people still like having an old school stand alone compass. Do you just use your computer compass or do you take a separate stand alone compass? Do you wear it like a watch or do you just clip is off? Watch band or retractor? Or do you have one attached to a slate? Does it depend on what kind of dive you're doing?

I use the Teric compass I have a clip compass in my dive box but never take it out (I dive with two Teric’s) the nice thing with the Teric is you can calibrate it which you should do often Enough to be familiar with the process.

OMG, the Teric compass is a game changer for situational awareness -- specifically the always-on arrow pointing north that roams around the outside. I've started to think about a 3 o'clock bearing instead of W or 270 deg.

I typically use a Perdix AI and Teric on the same arm, but they must be in a particular order. Something on one one side of the Perdix (I forget which, sorry!) SEVERELY warps the Teric compass reading. If I swap the order, all is well.

I expect an analogue compass or other computer may be similarly affected, so you might check a bearing before and after installation on your arm or wherever. ETA: I think the left side of the Perdix is the troublesome one, and putting the Teric on the right works fine. Which is a drag since I use the right arm. :-(

Analog compass in a bungee mount. Goes on the back of my hand. I sight it like I would a rifle. But I don’t use a compass much. My diving doesn’t really call for it.

How do the digital compasses measure direction? Is it a miniturized gyro type device or is there actually some kind of magnetic measurement? I assume a traditional compass may have increased error near a large iron based mass like a wreck. Do the computer compasses have the same weakness?

I have a Perdix on my right wrist and I regard the digital compass as a backup. My trusty analog compass on my left wrist is my primary navigation device. It's so easy to glance at it and know where I'm heading.

Having said that, I hear the Teric compass is even easier to use so maybe if i had one I would switch to that as my primary nav aid.

@RobPNW - They're all magnetic, AFAIK. You can put in the magetic declination from true north in the Teric et. al. if you want to use bearings taken off of Google Maps photos or similar.

The computer compass function uses a magnetic sensor to drive it. And some software. I do not have that feature on my new Peregrine but really do not mind. I prefer my bungee mount compass. I can use it at a glance and it requires no button pushing to be available or to select. I wear my watch on my left wrist and two computers on my left forearm area and my compass goes on the right wrist. I also prefer a simple and mechanical SPG and do not want nor will I pay for air integration. I (might) would pay a little extra if the (future) Peregrine II has the compass fucntion but I will pass on the AI.

James

Standalone compass on a retractor. I'm usually in at least somewhat restricted visibility and refer to it constantly to maintain a mental sense of bearing and range back to the anchor.

I do not have a good explanation for why I prefer to bring my left back hand back to the D-ring to which the compass is attached and fumble for the compass each time I want to look at it when I it would be easier just to touch a button on the computer that's already on my left wrist in front of my face--probably because I'm old and prefer something that looks and feels like a compass ought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom