How Do Use Your Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried numerous compass types (slate, wrist, hose, console), but I keep going back to an analog one built into the spg console. I often have other junk strapped to my arm(s) that precludes a wrist compass, and I've adapted to just having one of the longer, 3-module spg consoless. For a while I tried using the 2-sided consoles where you could slip the compass on the back-side, but I found that the extra chunkiness was suboptimal compared to a flatter, longer console mount with all of the module slots lined up on one side.

for most recreational dives, i use a wrist compass

for Ice diving, i ditch the wrist compass and use the integrated compass on my Perdix

for limited vis diving, i use a custom made Nav Board.
images.jpg

The terric is okay for telling you which way is north (assuming it is still calibrated), but a compass has more tools than just that.

If I'm doing any real navigating, meaning any more complicated than "head east to get back to shore," I'll stick with a compass with lubber lines and a bezel. I bungee mount mine to the back of my left hand.

I have a digital compass that I never use on my OSTC, and an analog one on the back of my hand.

Why you might ask?
I'm fatsighted, and underwater, it's almost impossible to read my compass if I keep it on my forearm, which means I'd need to bring it in from of my face. This is not a problem with my computer, since I keep it slanted so I can read it with a clance w/o moving my arm, while the compass stays on my hand so i can position it on front of me.

I usually (75% of time) dive in ****** visibility, and even with lines, I need to sometimes check the bearing, so I use a compass every single dive. And I found that an analog, bungee on a hand is most usable. You basically use it as a watch.

Right now, I'm leaning towards having one on a retractor out of the way. Then, if I feel like the functionality of my computer digital compass is insufficient, I can pull it out. Otherwise, it's less clutter on my arms.

I keep mine with the SPG and reference it to set the anchor before the dive

Also -- an analogue compass on either a bungee or within a gauge console -- something long enough to be held at arm's length -- not to be potentially affected by either steel tanks or even a magnetic octopus holder, received one year, as a stocking stuffer. Even though, a couple of my computers, feature a compass setting, I still prefer a good, old knock-around analogue set-up.

I once recall seeing a couple of divers, on a boat a few years back, already nauseous out of the harbor, spinning slowly in a circle while on a pitching boat, as though in a fugue state, in an attempt to calibrate their electronic compasses.

Nowadays, I seldom use them, save for plotting a return course, to shore or an anchor line, when the water looks like miso or minestrone soup . . .

This is how I use mine, hate strapping on all kinds of things,
I slightly twist my wrist to use, and the compass is rotated so the lubber line, is forward, so my arm is naturally in front of me in an non awkward angle,,
Use my compass all the time,
I'd be naked without it,
20211105_181616.jpg
20211105_181624.jpg

I like to use the mini compass widget on my perdix, so I know roughly in what direction I am going.

But I still have a normal compass on my left arm.

Back
Top Bottom